News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#21) Old
Administrator

Default 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Did you point out to the Dell sales advisor that Dell is selling the 10v with Windows 7 for an additional $30?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
I have just had an interesting on-line live chat session with a Dell sales advisor, who informed me that:

"Windows 7 needs 2 Gb of memory, and Mini 10 v can only take upto 1 GB"

... he then emphasised that "It can only take 1 GB at the max"

... and as a final nail in their cofin: "It is not possible to have windows 7 on Mini netbooks"

I did point out that his statements were in fact incorrect, and that Dell were missing out on a great Sales opportunity here, but he then seemed rather anxious to end the sesion... I can't think why though!
Compete bollocks! I re-installed Win 7 home premium on my mini 9 this afternoon, that's my mini 9 with 2GB of memory installed!

Everything looks OK after the usual problems installing the Dell drivers for the SD reader and the 5530 hsdpa.
  (#23) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-21-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Did you point out to the Dell sales advisor that Dell is selling the 10v with Windows 7 for an additional $30?
As I already specifically mentioned that I was in the U.K. (where we don't yet have a Windows 7 option at all), I am afraid that I didn't!

I don't think that the guy really knew what he was talking about though, as many of us on here (including myself) have already upgraded their Mini 10v's to 2GB RAM and have Windows 7... not just the Starter Edition either, running quite happily!

My enquiry was really just to find out what the 'official line' currently is... but no doubt it will change again before too long!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#24) Old
Administrator

Default 10-21-2009, 08:29 PM

As I hinted, Dell US is already selling the 10v and the 10 with Windows 7 as a $30 option.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#25) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-21-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
As I hinted, Dell US is already selling the 10v and the 10 with Windows 7 as a $30 option.
They are indeed... I checked just after you mentioned it before!

Mind you, that is $30 on top of the cost of Windows XP (as it were!)... and just for the Starter Edition, whereas I am sure that most users would want (at least) the Home Premium version... and 2 GB of RAM to go with it too, of course!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#26) Old

Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza.STi View Post
Well...as everyone should have known that it's just another trap from MS to "force" people into buying larger notebooks...

That or buying the "anytime upgrade" to 7 Home Premium.
  (#27) Old

Default 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impreza.STi View Post
Well...as everyone should have known that it's just another trap from MS to "force" people into buying larger notebooks...
"Force"? Yep, Microsoft flies around in their black helicopters and 'forces' people to buy larger notebooks.
  (#28) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 06:50 AM

although it is available in the dell mimi 10v, i think it is expensive.

focus on the battery development.
http://www.batterystyle.com

« ZoomText Screen Magnifier for Netbooks | Dell Mini 9 on Sale for 4 Days! »