News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-20-2009, 02:29 PM

No sign of a Windows 7 option on Dell's U.K. website yet, but if they are going to want an additional £50 or so for it, I expect a lot of folks will be pleased that they took advantage of the £45 'pre-launch' offer.

Personally I would not be interested in the 'Starter' edition of Windows 7, and would want to install the 'Home Premium' Edition, at the very least!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#12) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 03:09 PM

The lack of features provided in Windows 7 Starter should be no surprise to anyone. Microsoft has always said it would have limited functionality. I would never buy a system with Windows 7 Starter on it, but for those of you who do, just be happy you can run more than 3 programs at a time.
  (#13) Old
Administrator

Default 10-20-2009, 03:48 PM

I recall reading that the XP Home license was $25 and that Windows 7 Starter would be more than that.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#14) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I recall reading that the XP Home license was $25 and that Windows 7 Starter would be more than that.
Right you are, I didn't know XP Home was that cheap these days. My OEM copy cost me £100, but that was years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
The lack of features provided in Windows 7 Starter should be no surprise to anyone. Microsoft has always said it would have limited functionality. I would never buy a system with Windows 7 Starter on it, but for those of you who do, just be happy you can run more than 3 programs at a time.
Personally, I'm not that surprised at the lack of functionality (except the locked wallpaper--that's ridiculous!) However I am surprised at Dell bundling it with a 'proper' computer, especially as they must be aware of these forums and know how many people are reaping the benefits of the full versions of Win7 on the 9 and 10v...

Red 16GB Dell Mini 9 - Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 32GB SDHC, Bluetooth

Add me on: Twitter/Last.fm/Flickr/Facebook

(#15) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM

A better option in the UK is to buy the base Ubuntu model (with 8GB SSD) and buy Windows 7 Home Premium and a hard drive - cheaper than buying the official crippled version of Windows 7!

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-20-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookheather View Post
A better option in the UK is to buy the base Ubuntu model (with 8GB SSD) and buy Windows 7 Home Premium and a hard drive - cheaper than buying the official crippled version of Windows 7!

- Simon.
Sorry... don't quite follow you there!

We don't yet know Dell's pricing for the Mini 10v with Windows 7 (which I assume they will shortly be offering), and as far as I am aware the 'Starter' edition will not be available on its own to end users anyway.

Also they don't offer options such as Bluetooth or the Mobile Broadband card 5530 on the Ubuntu models.

I think I know what you are getting at though!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#17) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 07:17 PM

I hope this isn't off topic too much, but I wonder which versions of Windows 7
will be available at "brick & mortar" stores such as K-mart, Sears, and "that other -mart"

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand
  (#18) Old

Default 10-20-2009, 07:36 PM

I think the OS issue is really a non-issue considering how friendly these machines are to modding. If you want win 7, get your own version and install it, OS X and Ubuntu too.

The Mydellmini community is far more savvy than the manufacturers and OS developers when it comes to using a netbook.
  (#19) Old

Default 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Sorry... don't quite follow you there!

We don't yet know Dell's pricing for the Mini 10v with Windows 7 (which I assume they will shortly be offering), and as far as I am aware the 'Starter' edition will not be available on its own to end users anyway.

Also they don't offer options such as Bluetooth or the Mobile Broadband card 5530 on the Ubuntu models.

I think I know what you are getting at though!
Well Windows 7 won't be any cheaper than XP Home and that is currently a £50 premium over the Ubuntu model. You can buy a Bluetooth module for £15 which is less than the £35 Dell will charge you. They have also dropped the Mobile Broadband option (at least for the moment).

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#20) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-21-2009, 04:06 PM

I have just had an interesting on-line live chat session with a Dell sales advisor, who informed me that:

"Windows 7 needs 2 Gb of memory, and Mini 10 v can only take upto 1 GB"

... he then emphasised that "It can only take 1 GB at the max"

... and as a final nail in their cofin: "It is not possible to have windows 7 on Mini netbooks"

I did point out that his statements were in fact incorrect, and that Dell were missing out on a great Sales opportunity here, but he then seemed rather anxious to end the sesion... I can't think why though!

« ZoomText Screen Magnifier for Netbooks | Dell Mini 9 on Sale for 4 Days! »