News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Default Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electr ... m=netbooks

Apparently, Dell isn't one of the best because
Quote:
The Dell mini 9 ($425) and HP Mini 1000 ($400) were both very light, thanks to solid-state drives. But those drives are very small at 8GB each and slowed the computer noticeably.
I guess Consumer Reports isn't as smart as I thought they were...

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 04:12 PM

well i could see them thinking that the drive in the HP was quite slow epically since it runs off of the USB client. Also the consumer reports were using Windows XP models. I know that my mini was really dogging it when i first received it due to the compression issue and bloatware that they had pre-installed. If they would of uncompressed the drive they would have instantly seen how much better the performace is with the dell mini 9.
  (#3) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 05:24 PM

Not the first time CR hasn't bothered to do any research other than their own tests. It's a shame.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Most people don't have the savvy to get online and find places like this and learn about uncompressing the drive, so I think it's fair for CR to test the computer "as is", without any tweaks, because that's how the consumer will use it. Now why they bought one with an 8GB SSD instead of 16GB, who knows?

I don't rely on CR for reviews of computer stuff. And those of us on this forum are more than capable of deciding what computer suits us best, since there's no real "best" of anything. I'm quite satisfied with my choice even though I know there are other computer out there that have more storage capacity or larger screens, etc.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM

I got my mini yesterday. It has XP on it and has been snail slow since I started using it. Whats this compression youre talking about to make it faster?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Here's a thread that has the instructions for uncompressing:

http://mydellmini.com/forum/decompre...sd--p4831.html

Check the message with the nice screen shot.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM

I am really surprised at how fast this thing is. I removed Ubuntu and installed XP Pro using nLite to slim XP pro down and this thing runs great. :ugeek:

Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, OSX 10.5.6
Old Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 2GB RAM, 32GB RunCore SSD, Dual Boot Windows XP Pro SP3/ 7 Beta.
Older Config: Dell Mini 9, Black, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

I really don't think anyone looks to Consumer Reports for advice on buying a computer or laptop! :lol: There are too many factors to consider in buying one. They should stick to rating washing machines.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM

I was always upset even with companies such as PCWorld that they complain about bad battery life for example when they know they can just add a couple more dollars and get a better battery, or they complain about it being slow but it only had 1GB of RAM, and if they p[aid another $50 they could get double that.

But what can you do...all these companies need to test what they receive. They can't start doing mods on every product they receive.

As far as the whole compression thing, I personally will be installing Tiny XP Rev 09. I just installed it on a virtual machine and it seems to be running very welll, with the whole hard drive being only about 600MB full (not including the hibernation file or pagefile) and the RAM usage on the first boot-up at 30-50MB. That's crazy good!

Mini 9 - nLite'd Windows XP - 2GB Crucial RAM - 32GB RunCore HD - Built in Bluetooth & Webcam
Internal Sprint Mobile Broadband Card in the WWAN slot.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-05-2008, 12:19 AM

I've found over the years that the more I know about a particular topic, the less I think of Consumer Reports articles on that topic. It's either a remarkable coincidence or they're just better at sounding authoritative than at being accurate.

That said, I agree with them that disk speed, specifically disk write speed, is the weakest aspect of Mini 9 performance. At least on mine, the read speed is fabulous but the write speed is terrible.

The biggest boost in performance I got was to turn off file last access time tracking ("fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1"). Without that setting every disk read is also a write, because the last access time on the file is updated.

Don

« New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 | Dell Adamo Coverage »