News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-05-2008, 12:56 AM

A totally subjective, scientifically void review from Consumer Reports. They should have at least used some type of benchmarking software to compare them...instead a speed rating of "high" means they "ran as quickly as a 1.6Ghz Celeron". I wonder what exactly they "ran" to test the speed.

But, I have to agree with some of their conclusions: First, the original keyboard that most of us got was "poor". Not having the apostrophe and quotation key in the home row was a very poor choice. Fortunately, Dell seems to have fixed this with a new design and at a reasonable price.

Second, I must agree that the sound on the Mini is "poor". If there were a rating below "poor", I would use it.

And finally, a point someone mentoined here...the configuration in which the Mini is shipped is dismal, and this is the experience that most consumers are going to have, unfortunately. Dell should be paying attention to this forum and maybe come up with a few changes to their default config.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-05-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH
The biggest boost in performance I got was to turn off file last access time tracking ("fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1"). Without that setting every disk read is also a write, because the last access time on the file is updated.
I just did this on my Vista system for the first time. Is this something that should be done on every system? One of those handy things that IT guys do when they sit down in front of a friends computer?

Mini 9 - nLite'd Windows XP - 2GB Crucial RAM - 32GB RunCore HD - Built in Bluetooth & Webcam
Internal Sprint Mobile Broadband Card in the WWAN slot.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-05-2008, 04:45 AM

Well considering I just read a cell phone review where CR gave the phone a 61 (and 65 is the highest rating they've given a phone) and the user reviews had 14 of 16 people giving it a one-star rating, I think it's safe to say they are best at rating cars and household goods... the tech? Not so much!

Diana

Dell Mini 9, Ubuntu Remix, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Obsidian
  (#14) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-05-2008, 05:05 PM

I guess I've gotten used to Ars Technica and Tom's Hardware for my computer tech reviews. Seems like I've seen Tom's Hardware overclock the machine more than once to see if they can get better performance out of it.. I believe that's why I bought an E2160 CPU for my main machine.. They just go the extra mile and really help you see how they came to their conclusions.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-07-2008, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH
The biggest boost in performance I got was to turn off file last access time tracking ("fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1"). Without that setting every disk read is also a write, because the last access time on the file is updated.
I just did this on my Vista system for the first time. Is this something that should be done on every system? One of those handy things that IT guys do when they sit down in front of a friends computer?
Having the last access time updated is handy for searching, so normally I leave it alone. The big exception is for flash drives that have lousy write performance.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM

i have bought HP mini 1000 8.9":
winXP home SP3, Intel Atom N270 (1.60GHz), 512 MB RAM, 8 GB SSD, no BT/WWAN, 3 cell battery.

do you guys think i should return it and switch to dell mini 9? i did not choose dell as many complained about mis-configured keyboard. i am a research student, will be in an industrial job in near future.

BTW, which OS i should install, default XP home or XP pro? i would definitely like XP over anything else. how better is runcore SSD over dell 8/16 GB SSD? worth of buying it?
  (#17) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-20-2008, 09:21 PM

I don't think we can make that decision for you.

The RunCore SSD is noticeably faster. XP Home probably does all you need, but check to make sure you're not leaving out a feature you need, such as joining a network domain.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 12-22-2008, 04:29 AM

I assume the HP 1000 in the 8.9" form factor is the same as the 1000 10" version, except that the screen is a little smaller (ie. a thicker bezel). Assuming this is true, then, the HP clearly has a better keyboard, and is thinner than the Dell Mini 9. But it has a smaller battery, so I would expect the battery life not to be as good. It is thinner, but bigger in the other dimensions. It also has an option for a hard disk, but its a 1.8" drive, which is likely to have poor performance. Whether that's compared to the standard SSD drives in these things I can't say. It also has some oddball connections--no VGA, only two USB, one internal USB slot for "future use". Not as easy to upgrade probably. Probably similar in most respects, like all netbooks...

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Consumer Reports netbook comparison - 01-01-2009, 03:14 AM

In a 1948 issue of Consumer Reports they tested the new ball point pen. There finding was that it was a passing fad and would never replace the fountain pen. They said buy one if you like new gadgets but whatever you do NEVER sign a legal document with one as the signature lacked character and they did not believe a document signed with a ball point pen would ever stand up in a court of law.
In the 1980s they recommended you buy the biggest car you could afford.
IF there was a consumer testing service for comsumer testing services Consumer Reports would be a NOT RECOMMENDED!

« New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 | Dell Adamo Coverage »