News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM

[news-img:13elq68b]/images/news/buffalo-ssd.jpg[/news-img:13elq68b]A company called 'Buffalo' are due to be releasing their own brand of 16/32gb SSDs for the Dell Mini 9. The company had previously made EEE PC compatible SSDs which must have performed well to an extent for them to see fit to make models for Mini 9s.

No words on estimated benchmarking speeds, so we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks to jelli794 for the heads up.

[via Engadget]

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-03-2008, 07:17 PM

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1400

Phoenix.stu scooped endgadget on this one...should be given credit for spotting these SSD first! :evil:

Being overseas, he could probably be one of the first to get these aftermarket anyways...

(#3) Old

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-03-2008, 10:52 PM

I saw it on my Engadget RSS. I am happy that a lot more manufactures are really getting in on making PCI-E SSD's for our mini's maybe a 128GB version pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee...
  (#4) Old

Angry Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Yes, it is a good thing the Mini 9 is getting this level of attention.

However, as JKK noted in his post, the performance of the Buffalo SSDs for the Eee PC isn't very good, around 33/13 which is about the same as the oft-maligned slow MDD parts.

With the original STEC parts at 75/15, and the new MDD Runcore parts around 60/40, I'm not sure what this brings to the table.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#5) Old

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-04-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfoot
Yes, it is a good thing the Mini 9 is getting this level of attention.

However, as JKK noted in his post, the performance of the Buffalo SSDs for the Eee PC isn't very good, around 33/13 which is about the same as the oft-maligned slow MDD parts.

With the original STEC parts at 75/15, and the new MDD Runcore parts around 60/40, I'm not sure what this brings to the table.
If the performance is indeed 33/13 then I'd give this one a big miss!
  (#6) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-04-2008, 03:39 AM

I thought I saw a review of them that was mostly Japanese, but the benchmark numbers showed 72/33.. Which would put it between the STEC and the RunCore.. But then, being that I could only read the benchmarks, and not the text around it, who knows if that really was the benchmark on this drive.. heh

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#7) Old

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Yes, you guessed right.. the drive has 73 MB/s read, 33 MB/s write. Testing was done with an EeePC 901 in Super Hybrid Mode. Here's the author's opinion on how it fits in regarding other SSDs (I have no clue SSD brands/names):

JMF601?SHD-DI9?STEC, PS3006, SM223AC

http://project-r.org/cgi-bin/diarypro/archives/671.html

Netbooked - Netbook News / Reviews
  (#8) Old

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-09-2008, 04:55 AM

Probably the same guy tested the 32G SSD (SHD-DI9M32G) on inspiron mini 9. He replaced the Linux containing SSD with this one, installed XP home SP3 downloaded from Microsoft Technet and ran the tests. The result is same as done on EEE pc though. You can find it here

http://project-r.org/cgi-bin/diarypro/archives/675.html

Dell Mini 9:Black:16GB Buffalo/STEC SSD:1GB RAM:Bluetooth:WWAN:XP Home:Vista HP:OS X: Windows 7
  (#9) Old

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-23-2008, 08:02 PM

Does anyone know if Dell has PC Restore on the mini 9 16gb SSD machines?
  (#10) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: New Brand of SSD Drives Emerge for the Mini 9 - 12-24-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotless
Does anyone know if Dell has PC Restore on the mini 9 16gb SSD machines?
no, it doesn't have the restore option, just the test.

the drive is too small to keep a 4gb image of the system.

but you can request the System Restoration CDs calling or chating with dell technical support if you really need it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1568

check this thread to see how to request it

sory me no spiko english

« Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support | Consumer Reports netbook comparison »