News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default Intel Atom Developer Program launched - 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM

This week, Intel announced the new Intel Atom Developer Program, aimed at accelerating the development and distribution of applications for small form factor devices based on Intel Atom processors. The program will be providing an extensive cross-platform and multi-language API as well as a new "app store" through which you can sell or distribute your applications. Think of it sort of like the Apple app store without the murkiness of "approval" and restrictions on application types.

I spent some time last night getting more details on the IADP. First of all, it isn't limited to Atom - applications built using the IADP SDK (Software Development Kit) should run on any PC. They are targeting Windows and Linux (Moblin primarily) with the goal of not needing to code in platform-specific sections. The API will provide access to hardware functions such as battery, GPS, etc. in a platform-independent way. In addition to direct executing code, MS Silverlight and Adobe Air, plus .NET code will be supported.

There isn't much there yet, but they expect the basic required APIs to be provided within a couple of months.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Cool

When development is organize it always means better things for the community in the long-run

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM

There does appear to be a $99 Annual Fee though!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#4) Old

Default 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Montala - the fees are waived for the first year if you join now (limited time promotion). Developers will be able to sell apps and developer components. Also - the first 100 apps validated will earn the creators a brand new "juiced up" netbook.

Amy from Intel
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Barton View Post
Montala - the fees are waived for the first year if you join now (limited time promotion). Developers will be able to sell apps and developer components. Also - the first 100 apps validated will earn the creators a brand new "juiced up" netbook.

Amy from Intel
Welcome to MyDellMini Amy!!

Thanks for the awesome news and I am glad to see someone from Intel on our forums!!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-25-2009, 05:09 PM

What am I, chopped liver? True, I am not here in any sort of official capacity, but I have mentioned I work for Intel.

Steve
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
What am I, chopped liver? True, I am not here in any sort of official capacity, but I have mentioned I work for Intel.
Hey ya learn something new every day... I never knew you worked for Intel

That is awesome!

(#8) Old

Default 09-28-2009, 04:40 AM

Good to be here, and to meet another Intel person, nonetheless. Found this post via Twitter, and glad to help answer questions about the new Intel Atom Developer Program.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-02-2009, 08:18 PM

anybody know when they'll release the api's- I'm waiting for the email- also the $99 fee is waived for now- at least it was when I signed up the other day
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-02-2009, 09:41 PM

I was told that the initial APIs, that are the minimum required, will be out in about two months. I signed up for the program a couple of days ago but have not received any email.

Steve

« UPDATED - Vostro A90 STILL available from Dell | [VIDEO] Youtube HD Playback after 10.1 update »