News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#81) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 04:16 AM

Ordered mine thru Costco on 9/28. Supposedly not shipping until 11/10.

So, for now, I ordered one from ebay. Picked up the best deal I'd seen since I made my Costco order. Got the identical machine less the webcam that I did not want anyway. I got 30% cashback from Microsoft and saved almost $230 off of the Costco price.

Even on ebay though, it's hard to find one configured the way you want. And because of the Microsoft cashback along with the short supply and high demand, alot of the ebay listings are well over list.

I'll see what the 90 days after I receive the one from Costco brings before I return it though.

I didn't want to buy from ebay originally because I like the Costco return policy. Especially because I could be interested in the 12" E Slim if it really does exist. But, the ebay deal was good enough that I see no problem flipping it for a profit or at a minimum, breaking even.
  (#82) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM

I ordered my Dell a little while ago... the original order time was listed as two weeks.
But then, unexpectedly, It was shipped out and I got it a week early.

So wooo to Dell for that.
  (#83) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColasante
I ordered my Dell a little while ago... the original order time was listed as two weeks.
But then, unexpectedly, It was shipped out and I got it a week early.

So wooo to Dell for that.
Congrats on your good fortune. It does however point out that Dell really doesn't adhere to a "first in first out policy" on orders. Even their claims that different configurations might alter shipping times doesn't hold water when I've found people with the same configuration taking delivery before people that ordered much earlier.

Do I think Dell is having parts supply and production problems? You bet I do. Do I think their customer service is lame? Yes I do. I only hope the hardware and Ubuntu OS was worth the wait.
  (#84) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 03:55 PM

I ordered my Mini on 10/16/2008 with 16gb ssd, 1gb ram, 1.0m cam, timbuk2 bag v220 mouse.
Ship date set for 11/17/2008...mouse and bag arrived separately, mouse on the 20th and bag on the 21st LOL

I'm hopping I get it sooner as I was hoping the shortages are getting over.
  (#85) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 Now featured in Dell Outlet - 10-22-2008, 07:41 PM

I can't seem to post new topics, so here's the big news:

The Mini 9 is shipping now from Dell Outlet at significant discount. No waits, no lines, no shortages. There are probably 500+ systems on the list from various configurations.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=22&l=en&s=dfh

Dell Mini 9: Black, 8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Bluetooth, No Webcam, Windoze XP
Ordered: 10/10 Canceled: 10/30, Re-ordered Via Outlet, , , , , , , , ,Estimated Delivery: 11/3
  (#86) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Unexpectedly got notification that my unit from Costco shipped from Dell today. Got my Mini from ebay today as well. I'll return the Costco one for %100 refund so no loss there. Again, though...I'll hold onto it and return it sometime within the 90 days they allow. I might flip the ebay one to turn a quick profit and keep the Costco one.
  (#87) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 Now featured in Dell Outlet - 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekutyn
I can't seem to post new topics, so here's the big news:

The Mini 9 is shipping now from Dell Outlet at significant discount. No waits, no lines, no shortages. There are probably 500+ systems on the list from various configurations.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=22&l=en&s=dfh
just got off the phone with them and they said it ships in 48-72 hours! i got my same configuration as i originally ordered for 20 dollars less and a 1.3 webcam and possibly bluetooth. Shipping is 19.99 though
  (#88) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 11:17 PM

So the real boon here is that they can ship product if your willing to take a laptop from the outlet. I've noticed that some are described as previously ordered. Does this mean people are canceling orders, and they have to sell them via their outlet.? Sort of like open box or even used? I still don't understand why they have gotten so many in the outlet.

This is good news, but it does irritate me that they have somehow developed an alternative stock. Once again I don't understand why Dell is "short sheeting" people with pre-orders and coming up with so many Mini 9's in the outlet store. My ire is not directed to those folks that may jump on this deal, or those that may cancel their orders and jump on the Outlet Store deal. Why didn't anyone at Dell even mention this when I called to complain about my delayed 9/10 order????
  (#89) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-22-2008, 11:51 PM

i believe they just listed them yesterday, the lady also confirmed they are brand new, just a canceled order
  (#90) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Just canceled my order and ordered from the outlet. I cant believe they are just throwing these things into the outlet instead of fulfilling other people's orders.

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »