News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#71) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-14-2008, 06:10 PM

I wish you all the very best luck in getting your mini. I canceled mine today and tried to get authorization for them to take the damaged one off my hands. After over a month of no one sharing any information with me I gave up and am now shopping for a different brand Netbook.

Dell has lost a customer permanently.... When I called to cancel my replacement, I was told I had to speak to a manager in order to process my damaged one for return, but no manager was available, so I had to call back.... when I did, I was on hold for 40 minutes. I finally have submitted my request via email..... still waiting to hear back on that one. Luckily I used my AMEx for purchase and they have removed all my charges and have filed a claim with Dell.

I was really excited about this unit, but at this point might as well wait and see what the holiday's brings for Netbooks.

Good luck to you all.
  (#72) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-14-2008, 07:23 PM

Quart - I totally understand. You have had a rough go of it with Dell on this one.

If they drop the ball on my order once more, or delay the order further, I'll probably cancel and move on as well. As much as I like the Mini, my patience is running very thin. I've been thinking and threatening this ever since the start of the problems, but each error brings me closer to that point.

Good luck with whatever you end up getting!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#73) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks jej.514 - I usually have tons of patience but in this case, I could only take Dubi's "vaguely specific" answers so long. It was like dealing with an incumbant politician. They keep reading the script, and couldn't do anything else.

My biggest challenge is finding a new unit at a retailer like Newegg(feel this is better since they can tell me exactly howlong delivery will take), that has the features I want and is aestetically appealing. Love the all metal feel of the HP2133, but that Via C7 chip is a snorer and not what I want. May wait a few weeks and see if anyone has the new Asus S101, but probably need to play it conservative and not by a device on release day like I did with the Dell.

Good luck to all.
  (#74) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-14-2008, 11:38 PM

its the old story with dell, they have a SUPER deal or good price on hardware / software and they delay the orders till prices come down so they can buy the parts 30 - 60 days later and make even more profit. I have had them do this to me before with external 500gb wd hdd's. I had to wait 45 days to get it. Then at the time they finally shipped it, I found it cheaper at newegg. So I processed an RMA and bought from newegg instead.

At the time of my order DELL was the cheapest. But by the time they shipped they were the most expensive. I hate these *******s!
  (#75) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-15-2008, 01:16 AM

they killed kenny
  (#76) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-15-2008, 04:48 AM

New forum member. I placed my order for the Mini 9 on 10/12/08 and ESD is scheduled for 11/03/08. WinXP, 1 GB DDR2, 16 GB SSD, Bluetooth, Obsidian Black, No camera option. Can't wait to get it!

rugar2 :mrgreen:
  (#77) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Mine finally arrived today!!! But not from Dell! From a great eBay seller that actually saved me money! This thing has awesome build quality.

Obsidian black, 2GB CL4 RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, .3mp cam, Bluetooth - purchased brand new on EBAY thanks to Dell! 0_o Currently running: openSUSE 11.x

Primary system: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz / 8GB RAM (1066) / nVidia 9800 GT 512MB / openSUSE 11.x
  (#78) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-19-2008, 10:05 AM

I live in the UK and i spoke to our companies dell rep the other day and he said if I confirmed the order it would be 10 days delivery!! I have not been back in the office for a week so I have not chased it any further I am going to push for free delivery :-). Then my company will let me have it ex VAT so my final price will be £211 if I can get the free delivery of course.
  (#79) Old

Cool Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-21-2008, 08:12 PM

I Ordered My Dell Mini9 on 9/30. The original ETA for the ship date was 10-20-08. I also orderedthe bag and external drive and that was ETA to ship on 10-14-08. On 10-13-08 I get an Email that says the bag and drive have been delayed, New ETA for ship is 10-21-08. 10-20-08 I call Dell to find out what is going on and the Mini 9 is delayed. New ETA for ship is 11-17-08 with an expected arival date of 11-20-08. God only knows when the bag and drive are suppose to get to me anymore. Sad thing is that I wanted to get one so I could take it with me on vacation. Vacation starts on 11-19-08. Just missed it. oops. :!:

***UpDate*** - IT has Shipped!! Yea me. I should have it by Monday. I am so happy. I have been doing the Happy Dance for about 2 hours. Happy Happy Joy Joy. :ugeek: 8-)
  (#80) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM

O.K. just when I thought I'd sit down and shut up about my Dell experience a request for a customer satisfaction survey comes floating into my e-mail in-box. This survey was generated by my calls and e-mails asking for and explanation and assistance. It references my recent contact by order number. The survey engine wants to know if the issue has been resolved to my satisfaction? This is cold even for a computer generated SPAM e-mail don't you think? I have to wonder if I'll get another survey as all the dots I filled in were pretty much skewed to the "not happy" buttons. If a non-script reading human being, with actual authority to lessen the delay, calls I will be pleasantly surprised.

Dell really needs to look at this entire process of customer service. My impression is that my e-mails and telephone calls are a waste of time and energy towards any actual resolution. The "yes we have no bananas" by most of the Dell reps. are not very helpful.

Dell's assurances that their production and delivery system are "first in, first out" doesn't seem true given the reports all over the WWW. The fact that so many people have customer service issues should be a concern for Dell. I do have to single out for commendation my sales rep. for at least he looked into the system and gave me a parts problem detail that sound like a quality control gloss paint job from a supplier.

Well good luck everyone who is waiting. I'm still hanging in there with my order. I don't think the "squeaky wheels" are going to assist us. But I suppose we can console each other as we await for what should have been a home run for Dell in the netbook world.

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »