News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#61) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-10-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elddric
I had placed an order last month 9/4 for one of the Ubuntu systems with the 1.3 web cam and it was supposed to be shipped today. Newp! called and they said " oh we see its been pushed back to NOVEMBER 10th. erm SCUSE ME? another month for it? Then I went online. Ubuntu with the 1.3 web cam says the same date there as they told me. I'm guessing that the web cam's are not in stock and that Ubuntu ones are being held back for no other reason then its not a M$ product.

windows xp home(junk) with no webcam. oct 31. Bet it will ship sooner then that too. to wait and not pay extra for the OS or buy..... hrm.....
Weird... I don't know what's keeping it, but I have an Ubuntu version with 1.3 camera on order and I've been told everything was in stock and that there was going to be no hold-up. I just placed the order yesterday, 10/9. My ship date says 11/14, but my Dell rep called this morning and told me it could even be sooner like 10/20...

Primary: XPS M1210 | Core2Duo | Vista Ultimate | 3GB RAM | 250GB HD
Secondary: Mini 9 | Pretty Pink | XP Home | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3MP Camera
  (#62) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 01:23 AM

Mine is supposed to ship 10/16 but still "In Production". My guess is it will be delayed as I assume there are other steps taken before shipping? Is the online Dell site accurate regarding the order process reporting. Should I be calling/e-mailing my salesperson? I'm on the hook for it as now I've got several accessories for it. The new commercial just made me want it more
  (#63) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz1
Mine is supposed to ship 10/16 but still "In Production". My guess is it will be delayed as I assume there are other steps taken before shipping? Is the online Dell site accurate regarding the order process reporting. Should I be calling/e-mailing my salesperson? I'm on the hook for it as now I've got several accessories for it. The new commercial just made me want it more
I'd call the 800 number to get most up to date status. Because online will only tell you "In Production" and there are other little sub-steps within "In-Production" that the phone status would be a little more accurate about.

Primary: XPS M1210 | Core2Duo | Vista Ultimate | 3GB RAM | 250GB HD
Secondary: Mini 9 | Pretty Pink | XP Home | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3MP Camera
  (#64) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 03:01 AM

Great, thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call in the morning. I'd like a few days to play with it before the spouse confiscates to for a trip out of the country.
  (#65) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 05:21 PM

UNREAL! So now my order has been delayed to November 10th!! Two months and five days after I ordered! Seriously?! How can they legally still be allowed to say they have this product currently for sale?
  (#66) Old

Post ITS BEEN UNBELIEVEABLE!!! - 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM

I have ordered my mini on 9/13 and it has been delayed twice! They are now saying that the est. shipping time is 11/10. Yeah like that will happen. I have lost faith in Dell all together. They are giving me two reasons for the delay:

1. They are waiting for the Atom Processor. They told me that for the FIRST DELAY.
2. They are waiting on 1.3 megapixel camera. WHY DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT THAT WITH THE FIRST DELAY!?!?!?

So in calling them, I was interested in a compromise. With the Mini, I order a Wireless router and asked for them to send that out now. Dell told me that they would have to CANCEL the router order and that may even cancel the Mini! They are driving me crazy with all their hoops. No matter what you try, they are not concerned with your issues AT ALL!!! :evil: This is the last time I am doing business with them!!!
  (#67) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 07:52 PM

I ordered on September 6th, a fully loaded Ubuntu machine. It just shipped and should arrive in two days.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#68) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpackrat
I ordered on September 6th, a fully loaded Ubuntu machine. It just shipped and should arrive in two days.
See, this is what is driving me crazy. Same machine, except for the OS, and yours is shipped a month before mine, despite having ordered a day after I did.

If there was any kind of consistency to how Dell is shipping these things, I would be way more understanding of the delays. As it is, though, they just seem to pick any random order in the lineup and ship it.

It would be much nicer to see them actually processing orders based on order date. Then we'd actually see some real progress happening. Something like, "Oh, now all the orders up to 9/10 have been processed..." and then actually see some progress toward your own order date.

If Apple releases a netbook tomorrow, I'm canceling my Mini order and getting that. If Apple doesn't release a netbook tomorrow, I'm canceling my order and getting an Acer Aspire One. Either way, Dell is losing my business. I used to be ambivalent about Dell, and even ordered from them on occasion and recommended them to friends. And now, for the low, low price of a netbook, they've totally changed my opinion of them for the worse! Good job, Dell!
  (#69) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-13-2008, 11:47 PM

Seems kind of random on shipping. I'm supposed to get one shipped 10/16 after ordering it on 9/10. Still "In Production" but sales rep. said he checked and it should ship on time as all of the parts were in for it to be built. Does anyone know where these are built? In USA or out of the USA? Just wondering how far this has to travel.

I too wonder if Apple is going to actually introduce a netbook, or something closer to one? I still miss my Newton The rumored $800.00 Apple laptop would be more costly than a loaded Mini 9. The reason I went Ubuntu was Linux of course.

Good luck to everyone who has a Mini 9 on order. I hope the delays end soon and the build and ship times speed up for people wanting to order.
  (#70) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Bennett
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpackrat
See, this is what is driving me crazy. Same machine, except for the OS, and yours is shipped a month before mine, despite having ordered a day after I did.

If there was any kind of consistency to how Dell is shipping these things, I would be way more understanding of the delays. As it is, though, they just seem to pick any random order in the lineup and ship it.

It would be much nicer to see them actually processing orders based on order date. Then we'd actually see some real progress happening. Something like, "Oh, now all the orders up to 9/10 have been processed..." and then actually see some progress toward your own order date.

If Apple releases a netbook tomorrow, I'm canceling my Mini order and getting that. If Apple doesn't release a netbook tomorrow, I'm canceling my order and getting an Acer Aspire One. Either way, Dell is losing my business. I used to be ambivalent about Dell, and even ordered from them on occasion and recommended them to friends. And now, for the low, low price of a netbook, they've totally changed my opinion of them for the worse! Good job, Dell!
I totally agree with you!!! Except that I canceled my order and bought a brand new one on eBay. Should have done it a long time ago!! I used to like Dell a lot, but they have really let me down this time. I ordered it on 9/14 and just got an email saying it would be delayed a THIRD time with a ship date of 10/20.

Obsidian black, 2GB CL4 RAM, 16GB STEC SSD, .3mp cam, Bluetooth - purchased brand new on EBAY thanks to Dell! 0_o Currently running: openSUSE 11.x

Primary system: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz / 8GB RAM (1066) / nVidia 9800 GT 512MB / openSUSE 11.x

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »