News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#31) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM

I placed my order on 9/19 and the est. shipping was 10/4. My order however did not show up on Dell's website until 9/23 and when it did it showed an est shipping date of 10/20, a 2 week increase. I have no complaints though because on 9/30 Dell shipped out my Mini9 and it arrived the following day (I used the standard 3-5 day delivery).

On a side note I noticed that the bag I wanted from Dell was backordered until the end of October so I ordered it a week before the Mini9 and it arrived last week ahead of schedule as well.
  (#32) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Question: Has anyone who had to reorder due to the Acrobat issue had the new order move from building to boxing or anything else?

It seems like the orders that didn't get cancelled spent about 4 days in building and 4 in boxing before shipping. I'm just trying to determine whether we are actually getting "expedited" treatment or not. I doubt it. If we were, I would have expected mine to move from building to boxing yesterday and it hasn't. I'm beginning to lose hope that this is every going to be resolved. :cry:
  (#33) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM

I'm just trying to figure out how Nobylspoon was able to get their Mini on 9/30 when I had placed my order a week before they did... This is really pissing me off. The Dell rep assured me that they were doing everything they could to expedite my order because I've already had to wait 3 weeks.

My timeline-
9/13 Order placed; ESD 9/29 (w. overnight ship)
9/15 Order begins to process because I had placed it over the weekend.
9/22 Was notified that my order was going to have to be changed or re-entered with no explanation as to why.
9/23 Was given the explanation that it was an Adobe/Configuration error causing the delay and I made a request to just skip the Adobe software and move it along.
9/25 Request to move computer along was denied, a change was made on my order with new ESD 10/17 (just about 3 weeks out!)
10/02 I'm still waiting...

To this day, I'm still getting phone calls from them telling me it's still in production and that they are "positive" that my shipment has no further delays and that it still has an ESD of 10/17. Maybe I'm not as pissed as I initially was like 2 weeks ago, now that I see I'm not the only one with this issue. Dell needs to get their sh*t straightened out FAST...

Primary: XPS M1210 | Core2Duo | Vista Ultimate | 3GB RAM | 250GB HD
Secondary: Mini 9 | Pretty Pink | XP Home | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3MP Camera
  (#34) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM

My story is almost identical to yours, Miss_Ellen.

9/12 Order placed. ESD 9/29 (standard shipping)
9/23 Order cancelled without permission or notification of any kind.
Called to find out that order had been cancelled and re-entered (also without permission or notification) but was on hold. Took another day to get a reason -- the Acrobat debacle. Began asking questions about why the online manual showed WWAN ready but people were receiving Mini's without WWAN capability. Had several different people tell me it was WWAN ready as a standard feature before I was finally told they were not WWAN ready and wouldn't be until some time in the future. I was also told there would not be an upgrade kit later because it would be too difficult and/or expensive to install.
9/25 Requested order be removed from hold. Was promised expedited treatment and given a free carry case.
New ESD 10/20 (overnight shipping), adjusted to 10/17 -- sure hope this isn't what they consider to be "expedited"!
10/02 Build . . . build . . . build . . . build . . . build . . .

Since the early orders shipped so quick and we're supposed to get expedited treatment, I fully expected it to be in boxing by now. I'm beginning to get pissed off all over again. :evil:
  (#35) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM

Wow... we should re-name this thread "I'm really mad at Dell right now, but I really want a Mini."

Count me among those who, kicking and screaming went back to Dell to still get my Mini.

9/11 ordered Mini
9/23 original ship date
9/23 get e-mail saying shipping has been delayed one week (to 10/3)
9/30 realize my Mini has Adobe 9.0 spec'd
9/30 e-mail Dell to alert them to the problem
9/30 Dell cancels my order without my request or authorization
9/30 Dell says the discount I purchased computer with is no longer available, no one can match price
10/1 Contact another person--who actually cared!--and is trying to fix the problem
10/2 Caring person can't fix my problem. Called four other people who didn't seem to care or try.
10/2 Finally get someone who cares and somewhat fixes the problem: I get my original discount
10/2 Replacement order placed
10/23 New ship date

Augh! If only the Mini weren't the only netbook with the exact combination of features I've been looking for...

Thanks for letting me vent!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#36) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Ouch. Online transactions are always a hassle when things go wrong.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#37) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-03-2008, 12:32 PM

Mine was really only paid for online. It was configured by e-mail and phone and a quote was issued, then I went online with the quote number and paid for it. I'm waiting to see those who ordered on or after 25th to start receiving theirs, which is when my reorder posted, then I'm going to start calling again. This bit about expediting us doesn't seem to be holding water right now.

I'm in Oklahoma, by the way. I'm going to change my profile to reflect that. I think if we can tell where people are who are having these problems, we might be able to narrow it down to a particular distribution point. Not that it will change anything but it would be gratifying to know.
  (#38) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-07-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyharmless22
Question: Has anyone who had to reorder due to the Acrobat issue had the new order move from building to boxing or anything else?

It seems like the orders that didn't get cancelled spent about 4 days in building and 4 in boxing before shipping. I'm just trying to determine whether we are actually getting "expedited" treatment or not. I doubt it. If we were, I would have expected mine to move from building to boxing yesterday and it hasn't. I'm beginning to lose hope that this is every going to be resolved. :cry:

nope.... here's my timeline:

9/12 placed order online for two fully loaded mini's
9/24 called to see why the order was in 'build' forever
9/25 received callback that I had an 'illegal configuration' and order had to be cancelled.
9/26 order cancelled and re-entered by sales with same discounts I had before
9/30 2nd order cancelled without warning, I'm told sales person didn't enter order correctly
10/6 2nd order still in 'build' stage. order was supposed to be 'expedited', which in dell speak means nothing.

I'm still waiting.... ESD is like 10/22 or 10/24, I forget. I think dell screwed up bigtime on these.

Black Mini 9 - Runcore 64 SSD - 2GB Ram - 1.3 Cam - BT - Windows 7
  (#39) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM

Does anyone have a trick to getting quality (or at least better than average) customer service from Dell? Certain number to call or something? I'm wondering, 'cause I certainly had terrible luck when I'd call the customer service number.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#40) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-07-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jej.514
Does anyone have a trick to getting quality (or at least better than average) customer service from Dell? Certain number to call or something? I'm wondering, 'cause I certainly had terrible luck when I'd call the customer service number.
yes spend at least 100k per month on systems... then tell them you might go corporate wide with lenovo and bam michael dell dilevers the bloody unint and says it will never happen again...

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »