News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM

There's a ton of Mini9s showing up on eBay now... I'm guessing mostly from people who took advantage of the buy a full sized laptop, get a $99 mini deal. The one I ordered from Dell a week ago is still not scheduled to ship for another two weeks... so, I had to go ahead and pick up an identically configured new one from eBay instead, should be here Friday 8-) .

I never really was a fan of delayed gratification...
  (#12) Old

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-24-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
There's a ton of Mini9s showing up on eBay now... I'm guessing mostly from people who took advantage of the buy a full sized laptop, get a $99 mini deal. The one I ordered from Dell a week ago is still not scheduled to ship for another two weeks... so, I had to go ahead and pick up an identically configured new one from eBay instead, should be here Friday 8-) .

I never really was a fan of delayed gratification...
lol - personally I wouldnt buy electronics off eBay, had a bad experiance myself when I was younger, paid £160 /$295 for a photo of a mobile phone, and it wasnt even that good-a-picture!
  (#13) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM

I have lost all faith in purchasing expensive electronics on ebay. At the very-very-very least I would make sure that the buyer is in the same country and ships from the same country and get explicit confirmation that it is your countries model, so many people are trying to sell cheap units the bought in Hong Kong

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-24-2008, 06:10 PM

i placed my ordered on 15th i believe. est ship date was october 1st, they shipped it last night with DHL express so i should be getting it any day now. most likely on thursday or friday cant wait.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-25-2008, 05:31 AM

I ordered mine on 9/6, and the ship date isn't until 10/13! WTF?

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM

I placed my order for a Mini on 9/13 and was given an estimated ship date of 9/29 (with overnight ship)...
I also requested for a Dell rep to call me about every other day with status on my order. He's been real good about that and things seemed to be on-track with my order up until yesterday. My rep called me with some silly bad news about the possiblity of having to have my order CANCELLED - not because of any shortages - but due to some silly software issue with the Adobe Reader software that's listed on my order details. My order details lists the item as Adobe Reader 9.0, when in actuality, it was supposed to be version 8.1. This cancelation was suggested by the technicians working on assembling my computer. Because I guess Dell has some strict policy that everything listed on the order details has to comply and be included. Otherwise, it's a no-go. So why don't I just get 9.0 instead then? Heck, I don't even really need it pre-installed, because I can easily go and download it myself.
So needless to say, I was pretty upset but maintained my composure with my rep and asked him to put in a request to not have it installed and to just move my computer along. That was yesterday and I still haven't heard back from my guy but hopefully I'll have an answer soon and would not have to cancel/redo my order. It's already frustrating enough that it's taken so long to ship out. I see that some of you managed to receive your computers within 2 days. I had that same luck when I bought my XPS M1210 last year. But the reason to cancel my order altogether due to some piece of software I don't want is ridiculous...

**UPDATE 9/25**
So, unfortunately, they (DELL Techs) still refused to push my order through and there is no way for them to pick out my laptop from the conveyor belt because there's no way to identify it since there hasn't been a service tag assigned to it yet (says my Dell rep). So I'm having to place a new order and I'm pushing them to deliver my computer on schedule as planned for the 30th. I'll raise all hell to make them work over the weekend if I have to!! :evil:
For those of you who placed your orders circa 9/13 and still have your orders in production, I would advise you to double check your order details for the correct Adobe Reader part number. I only say this because I had 2 Minis on order the same weekend and both order details show Part Number "410-1883 ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE" instead of the correct part number - which is "420-7468 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP" now appearing on my new order placed today.

Primary: XPS M1210 | Core2Duo | Vista Ultimate | 3GB RAM | 250GB HD
Secondary: Mini 9 | Pretty Pink | XP Home | 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth | 1.3MP Camera
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-26-2008, 08:39 PM

I am in Canada and ordered my Mini on September 9. On September 26, Dell Cancelled the original order and issued a new order with an estimated shipping date of October 20. When I phoned and asked why, they told me that the Mini line of computers had a "system" problem. Still a bit of a lengthy delay. To top of it off, a Dell Rep keeps phoning me and asking when am I going to place an order for the Mini.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-26-2008, 09:05 PM

well, my eBay experience worked out. got exactly what i wanted for about $80 less than I had paid Dell! time to cancel that order that's not shipping until 10/7. unless someone wants it for $518 i had paid.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
There's a ton of Mini9s showing up on eBay now... I'm guessing mostly from people who took advantage of the buy a full sized laptop, get a $99 mini deal.
Aaah, but what you don't know is that Dell had a glitch in their system briefly during that promotion where one could increase the quantity of $99 Minis in the order from 1 up to 5! Here's a photo posted by one fellow who successfully ordered and received ten Mini9s for just $99 each: http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/460...inisiq7.th.jpg

I've been bummed all week that I missed out on that golden opportunity! :cry:
  (#20) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM

holy moly! Whata mistake to make!

I bet someone missed out on employee of the month for that one!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »