News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#121) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsmith
OK.. On a closer look my order is missing the external DVD drive. I just called and canceled the drive part which wasn't scheduled to be delivered until december. For 100 bucks I can figure something else out anyway. Anyone ever try using the Xbox HD DVD drive? My plan is to install leopard. You can check out my progress on my website at http://www.michaelsmith.tv.
I plan on using an extra desktop dvd drive I had laying around. Just put that in a 5.25 external drive enclose and voila you got a drive for your mini for around $30. I'm just going to order an enclose off of Newegg (and they usually have products in stock, no 2 month wait time :lol: ). Although it's not a portable solution. If you can figure a way to do it off an xbox hd drive I'm with you, I got one too, but Im afraid I'd nuke it somehow ops:
  (#122) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-07-2008, 05:17 PM

My ship date magically updated today to say it shipped yesterday, with the same expected delivery (Monday). Incredible
  (#123) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 12-21-2008, 02:31 AM

I ordered a mini 9 on the 5th of this month with an estimated ship date of the 19th. So I got an email on the 19th stating that my mini 9 will be delayed until January 6th. :shock: That's ridiculus! They're tacking nearly three weeks onto the original two. I was very close to buying an Aspire One today because of that. Dell better watch themselves or they'll be losing ALOT of customers. The 9 better be worth it when it finally arrives...

All your base are belong to us
  (#124) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Just be thankful Oprah didn't hand a Mini out to her audience... Then you might be looking at a three-month wait the way Kindle buyers are.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#125) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 12-22-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4
Just be thankful Oprah didn't hand a Mini out to her audience... Then you might be looking at a three-month wait the way Kindle buyers are.
Wow, did she hand out Kindles to everyone? :shock: Must be nice
  (#126) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 12-23-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallstar
Wow, did she hand out Kindles to everyone? :shock: Must be nice
Yes, though not as nice as the time that everyone in the audience got a car. (Pontiac G6). Everyone knows by now that Oprah audience members get gifts, though I don't know if it's every show.

She did give Kindles to all the audience and promoted Kindle on her show as "her newest favorite thing". Amazon instantly sold out of Kindles and there's a 12-16 week lead time on them now, leading some to hawk their "lightly used" Kindles on eBay for 3-4X the regular price.

I love my Kindle - glad i got it before Oprah.

The Mini is not getting as good reviews as some of the competition, but I think the reviewers are focusing too much on hard drive capacity and ignoring the build quality and fanless operation of the Mini.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »