News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#111) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-04-2008, 12:30 AM

So i ordered my mini (white linux 1.3 cam 512 RAM, 8GB) on 10/31, it says esd 11/17 edd11/20-24 think i'll get it by then?
  (#112) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Well there might be hope in sight. My original order date was 12 October 2008. The estimated ship date was 03 November 2008. Well needless to say it didn't ship yesterday (pretty much expected). Instead I got an email from Dell saying they would do their best to ship it by 06 November 2008. Well, thats only a 3 day difference from their original prediction. Thankfully its not a 2 or 3 week additional delay like some people have gotten. Maybe a sign that Dell maybe slowly getting the mini thing straightened out (or not).
  (#113) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-04-2008, 04:33 PM

October 2nd order, ship date of Nov. 10 (this Monday). Meaning I've been waiting for 33-odd days.. Black Linux 8GB. If I do not receive the mini on Monday I will promptly cancel my order and look to the outlet. Hearing all these stories of early ships is beginning to take its toll. I've been visiting Dell's order status page which states it began production on Oct. 14 and has been in production ever since. I know I live in Canada, Dell, but come on. Rekindle my faith in you. I might start screaming if a) there's no mini shipped on monday or b) ship date gets pushed. We'll see how it plays out.
  (#114) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to thcrw739
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Thought some would like to know,

As of 7:10 am novemeber 5th, there are now 2 Linux mini's in the dell outlet store, first ones ive seen..

this one :

Inspiron Mini 9 - 910
(System Identifier: Z2VCA919)

Inspiron Mini 9 (910) Laptop: Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache) No DVD or CD Drive
Ubuntu Linux version 8.04.1

System Price : $339.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (1 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
8 GB Solid State Drive
Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Base
Inspiron Mini 9 (910) Laptop: Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache) No DVD or CD Drive
Web Camera
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Previously Ordered New
Previously Ordered New
Network Interface Card
Wireless 802.11g Mini Card
Hardware Upgrade
No WAN card Slot
30W AC Adapter
4 Cell Primary Battery
System Color
Obsidian Black
Laptop Screen
Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)

and this one :

Inspiron Mini 9 - 910
(System Identifier: Z2DVF7DH)

System Price : $349.00

Operating System
Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (1 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
16 GB Solid State Drive
Video
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Base
Web Camera
No Camera
Previously Ordered New
Previously Ordered New
Network Interface Card
Hardware Upgrade
No WAN card Slot
30W AC Adapter
4 Cell Primary Battery
System Color
Obsidian Black
Laptop Screen
Glossy 8.9 inch LED display (1024X600)
  (#115) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM

I ordered mine on Oct. 23. My expected ship date is not until Nov. 21. sigh
  (#116) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-05-2008, 10:04 PM

I feel like someone needs to pick up the phone and say, Dell, can you please explain why you are taking people's cancelled minis and sticking them in the outlet instead of, logically, fulfilling the orders of your paying customers. Many of whom have been waiting for over a month. The mini is not so customizable that matching the cancels to actual orders would be a difficult thing to do. I feel like Dell is being extremely lazy here and its customers are paying the price.
  (#117) Old

Lightbulb Surprise!!! - 11-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Order Date: 10/17/2008
Order Status: Shipped
Shipping Method: 3-5 Business Days
Shipped Date: 11/5/2008
Est. Delivery Date: 11/7/2008
Carrier: FEDEX GROUND

Specs:
Inspiron 910 Intel Atom processor N270, 1.6GHz, 533Mhz512K L2 Cache
1GB,DDR2,533MHZ,1 DIMM
8.9 inch Wide Screen WSVGA TL
16GB Solid State Drive (mini-card Module/PATA)
Mini OS powered by Ubuntu 8.04.1
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
  (#118) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM

I had an order in for a Mini through regular channels- one day I went into the outlet store and saw the droves of them for sale, much less than I paid for the one in production for over 3 weeks! :shock: I immediately canceled that order- went into the outlet and placed an order for a machine with a higher spec then the original unit. Saved over $50.00 on that one and it was here in 3 days! with regular shipping! My wife saw it and wanted one- back to the outlet I went, found one in white and read about the 15% off coupon and applied- saved $68.00 on that one and it was even less than the original unit I just received!

Unfortunately the first one I received had a bad media card reader and I had to RMA it- but the outlet was there to provide me with another unit and it too was here in 3 days.

All of them were "previously ordered new" and to be honest, I had them all before the ship date of the one I originally went to order through the traditional store! :lol:

I say, if you find one on the outlet- buy it!
  (#119) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-06-2008, 04:24 PM

Wow, got a delayed order by 3 days on top of the original the 22 day wait. Well Dell says the mini shipped last night. I don't know how far the assembly plant is from where I live (southeastern US), but I ordered the mini with regular shipping (estimated 3 to 5 days). Went to check the status of the mini on dell.com today and this is what it said...

Shipping Method: 3-5 Business Days
Shipped Date: 11/5/2008
Est. Delivery Date: 11/6/2008
Carrier: Data Temporarily Unavailable
Tracking Number: Data Temporarily Unavailable

Thats like overnight delivery ! I don't know if my constant complaining to Dell sales reps have anything to do with that, but if I get it tonight, ( or tomorrow) I'll be thoroughly impressed. I'd be willing to rescind almost every bad thing I said about them and might be willing to do business with them again. Dell may have dropped the ball on the component shortage deal, but maybe their making up for it with the delivery end now. Maybe, maybe not. I wonder if Dell's sales department has been reading this thread :lol:
Anyways thats an update from just my end of the mini shortage. Wondering if anybody else is having similar luck ? Other than you outlet store types.
  (#120) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-06-2008, 06:28 PM

OK.. On a closer look my order is missing the external DVD drive. I just called and canceled the drive part which wasn't scheduled to be delivered until december. For 100 bucks I can figure something else out anyway. Anyone ever try using the Xbox HD DVD drive? My plan is to install leopard. You can check out my progress on my website at www.michaelsmith.tv.

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »