News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#101) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantmymini
I've been tracking the whole dell mini shortage thing since I purchased my dellmini on October 12th. The estimated delivery date was November 10th. Needless to say like everyone I was freakin furious (they better not push back the shipping date on me). I've seen various reasons for why the minis are delayed; case plastics, etc. Saw this on engadget http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/19/s...tition-issues/ Apparently dell accidentally installed a static Ubuntu image on some minis, eating up 4 gb of SSD space. I guess they caught the error and slowed production even further trying to right the wrongs. I don't if anyone else has posted this or saw this, but I gotta wonder. How does dell continually screw this one up, or is this normal in computer manufacturing business? WHAT THE HELL DELL ?!?!
yes there have been comments on the linux forum here and over at the ubuntu dell forum about the partition issues.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#102) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM

I have found several units on the Outlet page that are configured like the one I ordered and is now delayed. The question i have is they make a point to post that there is no Wan Card Slot. Is this different that what they ship?
  (#103) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 05:39 PM

Well I called Dell today since everyone ordering from the outlet store is getting almost immediate shipping. I asked if I could just transfer my purchase from my original order to one at the outlet store. Maybe this was too much of stretch, took the representative about 15 minutes to finally tell me the only way possibly was to order one from the outlet and cancel my orig. order. Well I don't want deal with the refund hassle. On top of that she said if I ordered from the outlet store my order would be even further delayed ?! I made a point that there are people waiting up to 2 months to receive their orders and I just wanted to avoid that. Well, guess I pissed her off with that one. She asked me in an irate manner if I had any further questions and said have a nice day and hung up. Thank you Dell :| . Sorry this is the same sob story across the board I guess. Just being a college kid I needed a cheap replacement for my desktop that broke down. I guess I'll just keep fighting the foreign students for computer time in the library. Hell the semester will be over by the time my order ships. What the HELL DELL?!?!?

(if only I ordered it in white)
  (#104) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Hey wantmymini - FYI, I didn't have any refund hassles with Dell. They weren't going to charge my card until it shipped. I canceled before it shipped, and there were no issues. I think they do that "if it ships send it back for a refund" warning when they are expecting items to ship promptly. The lady didn't even bring it up when I canceled mine 'cause she knew it would be ages before it shipped anyway.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#105) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Hang in there! My original order date was 9/29 and the original ship date was 10/20 which got delayed to 11/17. LUCKILY it ended up shipping yesterday 10/29 and should get here tomorrow 10/31. It shipped nearly three weeks before my estimate so hopefully dell is finally picking up steam on the mini production line.
  (#106) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 10-30-2008, 09:53 PM

I cancelled my order this morning. It was placed on Oct 7 with esd of 10/29. Instead of a Mini, I got a new ESD of 11/28. I looked at the Outlet store and found several with the exact specs I had ordered - 16G ssd, Bluetooth, 1.3 mgb camera amd Windows XP Home. I had put the Mini on my Dell account. Before I got off the phone to cancel, I saw the balance return to the original available credit. I then called the Outlet store and ordered the exact model I originally ordered and saved $45.00 even with overnight shipping with an esd of 11/04! That sure beats 11/28. Dell sure does not have their act together on this product!
  (#107) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-01-2008, 01:43 AM

Looks like I made the correct decision! I ordered my Mini via the outlet store yesterday and it was delivered to my home at 9:30 this morning. I wish I had cancelled 2 weeks ago
  (#108) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-01-2008, 08:35 AM

I was told by Dell Canada customer care that my Mini9 was pushed back due to a shortage of network cards.
  (#109) Old

Send a message via AIM to CMcCane
Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-03-2008, 01:55 AM

Hey guys, grab them off ebay using Live.com's 25% off cashback on buy it now auctions. Got both of mine for under $340 each shipped to me in 2-3days. Good luck!

Dell Mini 9 (Wife) Running - Obsidian Black, 8GB SSD, 1GB Ram, 0.3MP Webcam, TinyXP Rev09
Dell Mini 9 (Mine) Running - Obsidian Black, 16GB SSD, 1GB Ram, 1.3MP Webcam, OSX 10.5.5
  (#110) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini Shortages? - 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM

I canceled my original order Thursday and placed an order from the outlet store the same day. I received my Mini today, Monday.

« Alereon Wireless USB PCI-E mini-Card Goes After Notebooks | Dell to charge $12.95 a month for "Premium" customer support »