News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-28-2008, 07:50 AM

The Mini9 just got a bit cheaper! Now starting at $299, Great starting point for people that plan to upgrade the ram to 2GB and put in a very large RunCore SSD.
Sadly, the Mini12 is still more expensive than a real laptop, even with an $80 discount.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-28-2008, 08:58 AM

I configured it with Windows XP starting at $339 and upgraded it to include BlueTooth, a camera, and the Mobile Broadband. Then I bought the 32GB Runcore drive on eBay with my 10% discount for $108 including shipping. And finally I purchased a 2GB 800Mhz Crucial stick from Crucial.com for $33 including tax and shipping.

Can't wait.

Mini 9 - nLite'd Windows XP - 2GB Crucial RAM - 32GB RunCore HD - Built in Bluetooth & Webcam
Internal Sprint Mobile Broadband Card in the WWAN slot.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-28-2008, 05:10 PM

People should note that this same deal can be had with slightly better specs. I'm pretty sure I saw it posted here but for the passer by who may see this there is a "E-value code" you can find online. You get the same $299 deal but the mini spec includes the 8GB SSD and windows XP as the OS...sale is today and yesterday only. I ordered one for my wife last night for her Christmas present...my employer got me one for work
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Thank you! I just saved about $60 purchasing it this way. I'm in the midst of canceling my old order but of course it takes so much time on the phone with them.

The direct link to order the $299 Mini 9 with Windows XP is:
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...cid=7420&lid=0

Or, click HERE

Mini 9 - nLite'd Windows XP - 2GB Crucial RAM - 32GB RunCore HD - Built in Bluetooth & Webcam
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Would this be a good place to start off as a new mini'er. I think i might get the $299 Mini 9 with XP, Upgrade to 2gb ram, add a 16GB SD card, and a neoprene sleeve. I have a 120gb hard drive so space will be no issue. What do you think about my setup. I can buy one of those thin cd drives later...
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-29-2008, 01:06 AM

I am just getting ready to by a Studio 15 and Dell offered a Mini 9 for $99 in a bundle. So I started to play around with configuring the Mini 9 on the website. Odd thing. I can order it with a 32Gb SSD on a Linux-based system for an aditional $25 USD. But, really odd, I can only get a 16Gb SSD on a XP-based OS sytem. Not sure why that is, but given all the chat around upgrading the SSD, I'm getting the Linux based system.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabigtuna
Would this be a good place to start off as a new mini'er. I think i might get the $299 Mini 9 with XP, Upgrade to 2gb ram, add a 16GB SD card, and a neoprene sleeve. I have a 120gb hard drive so space will be no issue. What do you think about my setup. I can buy one of those thin cd drives later...
"I have a 120GB drive"?? You may not realize that these devices only take a certain type of SSD, namely a PCIe SSD that is a certain size, so the 120GB HDD you are talking about will most likely not work with this system.

And to the next guy above, the reason why Dell will not allow an upgrade on the XP system is simply because in order for them to sell XP, the system cannot have more than a certain maximum hardware spec, and obviously their agreement with Microsoft wouldn't allow them to sell XP for a system with 32GB of HD space. It would have to be Vista.

Others are saying that the 32GB drives were too slow for XP, but until I see concrete proof of that, I would still think the way I said it before.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 11-30-2008, 03:28 AM

I have a 160gb EXTERNAL Hard drive powered Via USB...
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Black Friday - Dell Mini 9 for $299! - 12-08-2008, 07:54 PM

I purchased this lil gem to play around with at $299 on Thanksgiving Day. I should be getting it this week.

I got the version with Ubuntu on it, but I'll be picking up a runcore SSD later on to put OS X onto. I am betting the runcore +OSX will be a killer combo, but we'll see.

I just wanted to say hi, since I expect to be all over these forums by this weekend to tweak out my new Mini 9

--
Dell Mini 9, 2GB Ram, 32gb Stock SSD w/ Windows 7 & 64GB RunCore SSD w/ OS X 10.5.6.
http://Wolfman-K.com

« Official Dell Mini Commercial | JKK Mobile Review + Benchmark Runcore SSDs »