News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#1) Old

Angry WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-25-2008, 08:54 PM

[news-img:2k0jdltq]http://www.mydellmini.com/images/news/att.jpg[/news-img:2k0jdltq]Dell have announced that the Mini 9 can now be ordered with built-in mobile broadband in the US.

For an additional $125 you can now configure your Windows XP versions to come with embedded WWAN card.

The European market have had this capability for the past few month through the Vodaphone 3G packages, although it seems that Dell US may be providing a wider range of wireless providers.

Unfortunately, the early adopters will again have missed out on this feature!

[via CNET]
  (#2) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-25-2008, 09:49 PM

I really hope this option comes to Dell Australia too. I read that Vodafone will be offering it under contract here in the same way as in the UK (from 1st December).

I would much prefer to buy outright. I don't want a contract!!
  (#3) Old

Angry Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-25-2008, 09:50 PM

Right now if you do this it costs $125 at purchase time, but you'll get a $120 rebate from AT&T if you sign up for a two year commitment on the AT&T DataConnect Unlimited plan, which I assume is the top DataConnect plan (there is no "Unlimited"), which is $60.00 per month, with a 5GB data limit, and $0.00048/KB after that (i.e. $480 for each additional GB).

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#4) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Just a quick - vaguely related - question. Do you guys in the US have any prepay broadband providers like we do here in Oz?
  (#5) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 12:09 AM

No, our broadband is a monthly thing, generally unlimitted bandwidth. Though Comcast is experimenting with a "We'll cut you off for life if you cross this barrier" type of cap.. (Which sadly, is half what this AT&T 3g cap is! hah)

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#6) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I actually meant prepay wireless (i.e. 3g) broadband.
  (#7) Old

Send a message via AIM to snboard2286
Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 02:29 AM

Is that even 3G? Could you use that slot for a second SSD??

Dell Mini 9 running OSX 10.5.5 and LOVE IT!!!!!!!
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to snboard2286
Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 02:35 AM

It is 3G, answered my own question. Now its only available with XP and with XP you cant get the 32gb, what the hell is dell doing?????

Dell Mini 9 running OSX 10.5.5 and LOVE IT!!!!!!!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snboard2286
It is 3G, answered my own question. Now its only available with XP and with XP you cant get the 32gb, what the hell is dell doing?????
From all reports the 32GB is not fast enough to run Windows XP satisfactorily and the modems do not have reliable Linux drivers yet, so there is a little wisdom in their decision
  (#10) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snboard2286
Is that even 3G? Could you use that slot for a second SSD??
There has already been some research into that, i thought the same thing as you a while back. It appears that the WWAN slot is a few mm shorter than required for an SSD (due to a double and single sided card variation). Basically what it comes down to is that you would have to solder on the SSD slot to the space where the WWAN goes. There is a thread in the forums somewhere about it but i don't remember where it was after my disappointment of finding out that answer.

I think this upsets me slightly. I understand that there is a need to change the hardware in the laptop from time to time as the product ages and create variation in the product to keep sales up, but it is sad when there is a new hardware addition every week. People who bought early have been left out in so many ways and if i would have known this before buying i would most likely continue to wait because i do not know what will come out for the mini9 through dell next week

« Reduction on UK Minis | Discount on 'Previously Ordered New' and 'Refurbished' Mini9 »