News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 10:10 PM

In my opinion, and what I plan on doing, is to purchase the Dell Mini 9 with Windows XP and a 3g Card for $525. I will then remove and 3g AT&T card and place inside my own Sprint 3G card. I will then remove the 512MB of RAM and install a Crucial 2GB stick which I will purchase for $30 including shipping, and then I will remove the crappy STEC 8GB SSD and replace it with a MDD Runcore 32GB model which I will purchase for $119. If I'm in the mood of splurging, I will add BT and a webcam to the original Dell Mini 9 for a total price of $570. Or I will purchase a mini (really really small) USB BT adapter which basically permanently sits in a USB port, for $10 free shipping.

That's my plan. Just thought I'd share.

Mini 9 - nLite'd Windows XP - 2GB Crucial RAM - 32GB RunCore HD - Built in Bluetooth & Webcam
Internal Sprint Mobile Broadband Card in the WWAN slot.
  (#12) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-26-2008, 11:33 PM

What I want to know is if the other XP (or even all) Mini 9s now come with the WWAN connector installed. There's been a report of such thing happening here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1210.

As people start receiving their Mini 9 they ordered in the last few days, we should get an anwser.

Djof | "Je me souviens"
Black Mini 1012 with OCZ Onyx SSD and HD, Red Mini 9
  (#13) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 11-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snboard2286
It is 3G, answered my own question. Now its only available with XP and with XP you cant get the 32gb, what the hell is dell doing?????
From all reports the 32GB is not fast enough to run Windows XP satisfactorily and the modems do not have reliable Linux drivers yet, so there is a little wisdom in their decision
The reason you can't get the 32GB with XP is that Microsoft won't allow Windows XP to ship with an SSD larger than 16GB currently.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#14) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Microsoft eases hardware terms for Windows XP on low-cost PCs
In a move to loosen restrictions on ULPCs that can still have Windows XP installed, Microsoft has upped the limits for screen size and hard drive space.

Under the new terms, outlined in the documents, PC makers must limit screen sizes to 14.1 inches and hard-drive capacity to 160GB

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/ ... PCs_1.html
  (#15) Old

Default Re: WWAN on US Dell Minis - 12-04-2008, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djof
What I want to know is if the other XP (or even all) Mini 9s now come with the WWAN connector installed. There's been a report of such thing happening here: http://mydellmini.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1210.

As people start receiving their Mini 9 they ordered in the last few days, we should get an anwser.
I do not read the thread you reference similarly.

« Reduction on UK Minis | Discount on 'Previously Ordered New' and 'Refurbished' Mini9 »