News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-28-2009, 02:11 PM

Dumb question (it should be obvious I've never used Twitter before)...

What exactly should I be typing in the box at the top of my Twitter page to do the right thing for this contest?

Is it:

@DellDigitalLife Hey @DellDigitalLife the answer is [700 lbs]. Find more answers here: http://bit.ly/DellMini

That looks so odd, but the directions at Twitter say to send a direct Tweet you stick @name in front of your posting, so would that be the string to send?

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

I have no clue. I've been on Twitter for a couple of years now in one form or another, and it still confuses the hell outta me.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#13) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
What exactly should I be typing in the box at the top of my Twitter page to do the right thing for this contest?
Just put:

Hey @DellDigitalLife the answer is [Answer]. Find more answers here: http://bit.ly/DellMini

The initial instructions were a little confusing, but we straightened it out. You can enter once each day, so look for the question of the day and post the answer in the above format for a chance to win!

For the complete guidelines.. visit
http://bit.ly/DellTwitter

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Chris Byrd
Dell Mini 9 Owner
Dell Digital Life Evangelist
Follow me on Twitter @ChrisBatDell
  (#14) Old

Default 07-29-2009, 04:05 AM

Twitter recently updated it's @ search feature so that anything with @username can be found. It used to be that only things that started with @username would easily be found using the twitter interface, so the instructions that suggest using @ at the beginning are probably just older.

All you have to do is like Chris said:
Hey @DellDigitalLife the answer is [Answer]. Find more answers here: http://bit.ly/DellMini

Dell will easily be able to find your post there and there is a new question everyday! Good luck. I hope one of us wins
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the updates.. Twitter always has (and probably always will) confuse me..

(#16) Old
Expert Member

Default 07-29-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
Thanks for the updates.. Twitter always has (and probably always will) confuse me..
Same here, still don't get it, why anyone would be interested in the minutia of my life or why I'd be interested in someone else's. Of course I have an excuse, I'm an old fart

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-29-2009, 02:34 PM

I say the same thing...including the old fart part, and I'm only 30.

(#18) Old

Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM

United States only :-(

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#19) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
Same here, still don't get it, why anyone would be interested in the minutia of my life or why I'd be interested in someone else's. Of course I have an excuse, I'm an old fart
I don't follow people who only post minutia. Like "I just had a turkey sandwich. YUM!" and I try not to post that (though I did just have a sandwich...maybe I should tweet that). I follow people in my field who post interesting things they're reading or writing, events, news from their organizations, etc.

It's kind of like a press feed, but more personal. Like a convention I guess, where you get together with people with similar interests and chat. Occasionally, you'll learn something personal and make friends too.
  (#20) Old

Default 07-30-2009, 04:49 AM

I also joined to enter this contest. When creating my account, it automatically added 22 "Followings" to my account -- I think I clicked "Next" when it suggested them on accident -- and now it will not let me remove them. I've tried for the past 2 days. Pretty bad impression for a first time user, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm now purposefully following a few software companies for news about when features are added or beta products are released. I guess I'll keep the account around, but honestly, other than that, the whole idea seems a bit absurd to me.

mini9 | 32gb runcore | 2gb | osx 10.6.2 | nbi 0.8.3 | a05

« Google Chrome OS | UPDATE: Dell Mini 10 TV Tuner and Dell Mini 9 Battery Woes »