News News from the Dell Inspiron Mini Universe

(#11) Old

Default 07-09-2009, 06:44 PM

Hmm maybe we need a new forum branch in the Linux area? Just an Idea. Sounds like this will get big.

Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, Win7100, Bluetooth, 1.3MP, 8GB SDHC, German, No built in WWAN
  (#12) Old
Administrator

Default 07-09-2009, 07:18 PM

I don't quite understand why Chrome OS is being touted as a "new OS". It's clearly layered on Linux.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#13) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 02:02 AM

"linux" is just a kernel, not an OS. What you know as linux is probably the linux kernel with GNU, gnome/KDE and other pieces. Google's Os will use the linux kernel and possibly other components used on linux based distributions, but will likely be quite different.
  (#14) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I'm not really sure as to the attraction of this to be honest. The OS is basically a platform to run Chrome and that's it. All you can do it what you can do with Chrome. So, Chrome as a browser, Google Docs for word processing, etc, etc. Yes it'll be fast and boot up quickly but boot up to what? A Chrome "shell"? That truly would be a netbook and i reckon a lot of people would struggle with such little functionality.
  (#15) Old
Administrator

Default 07-10-2009, 01:00 PM

If it uses the Linux kernel, it's Linux. If it were a "new OS" it would have its own kernel. All this seems to be is yet another Linux distribution, albeit one with its own user interface, like Sugar.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#16) Old

Default 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM

I don't think Google really want to put Chrome OS as a full substitute for Win, Mac OS X or any Linux distro out there.

I think, for now, they want a REAL cloud OS (of course, fully integrated with they on-line apps).

I think it's an amazing idea. Let's see how it plays out when it comes out, then we'll see and talk about its innovative features (if any) and its drawbacks (if any).
  (#17) Old

Default 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
If it uses the Linux kernel, it's Linux. If it were a "new OS" it would have its own kernel. All this seems to be is yet another Linux distribution, albeit one with its own user interface, like Sugar.
Gonna have to agree with this one. I've been using Linux since 97-98 and purist users always say "Linux is the kernel". While that may be true, the kernel can't function by itself. Cars without engines are still cars...they are just engineless cars.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#18) Old

Default 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM

There is something already out there that's somewhat close to what Google Chrome OS wants to do. It is GOS. I've had it on my Mini for awhile now and I can use most of the tools without having to be connected to a network. All you need to know which tools require internet connectivity, which is pretty easy (web browsing, streaming multimedia, e-mail...)

Maybe Google Chrome OS is taking it to an entirely different level, but if its Linux, there will be tools that can be installed that won't require internet access so that local work can be done.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9n | gOS v3.1 Gadgets | 1gb RAM | 32gb SSD | 1.3MP camera
  (#19) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreizehn View Post
Hmm maybe we need a new forum branch in the Linux area? Just an Idea. Sounds like this will get big.
I've started up a google chrome os forum it'd be cool if discussion went on there:

GoChromeOS

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Google Chrome OS Pictured on a Dell Mini 9(Allegedly) | Chance to win a Mini 10v or a Mini 12 from Dell! »