My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#1) Old
Default Samsung External DVD/CD Writer Discussion Thread - 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM

Samsung External DVD/CD Writer Discussion Thread

Samsungs’s 8X Tray load External Slim DVD Writer supports USB Bus Powered. Just simply plug it to the USB port to get power and no need to worry about the AC Adaptor. Furthermore, this model supports both 12 cm & 8 cm discs. And the Manual Disc Eject function can let the disc ejected even when the power is off!

Additional Features:

• No AC adaptor needed when reading and writing.

• Prevents buffer under run error and enables high speed writing.

• Supports high speed writing even in low performance PC.

• Double OPC (Optimum Power Control) in DVD+R.

For more information on Samsung External DVD/CD Writer, please visit the link below: is your connection to the digital world.

Join the MDD Community: Follow us on or Like us on to get the latest news, product updates and exclusive offers.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Samsung External DVD/CD Writer Discussion Thread - 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Does anyone know if this supports:

1) Bit-setting / Book-typing - makes DVD+R discs appear to be DVD-ROM discs. This makes the discs much more compatible with older DVD players. Many DVD burners do book-typing for the dual layer discs (DVD+R DL), but not the single layer discs.

2) Discspeed Testing - testing of errors and disc quality through PIE/PIF errors.

The slim-line burners don't perform as well as regular sized burners (slower speeds, poorer burn quality), but the size and portability are what many people love about them. The book-typing is important to me, but disc speed testing would be nice.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Samsung External DVD/CD Writer Discussion Thread - 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM

I opted for the slim-line model as this allows me to hook up and copy a cd or a dvd while on the go. I would like to find one that supports DVD burning and DL disc's as well but for now I'm happy with what I have. It started off as a simple external cd-rom drive that I converted using a different internal cd-r/rw DVD-rom drive I already had from a different computer... a desktop actually. Since this one of mine actually "holds" the disc onto the spinner with a "locking" mechanism it can withstand a few bumps and vibrations, not recommended if your actively burning or reading a important disc as the reader arm could still skip then ruin your disc turning it into a coaster. But i guess that its the same for any optical disc drive. Perhaps later on I'll get a Blu-Ray reader/burner to make back-up to from the mini-9. Shortly after I win the lottery :lol:

STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Transcend 2GB PC6400 (800mhz) Memory Module Discussion Threa | Any Performance/Speed guarantees for MDD Mini 9 SSDs? »