My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#1) Old
Default Runcore Pro IV observations & Acronis Warning - 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM

OK, so I just got done installing my 32GB Runcore IV T style to replace the painfully, embarrassingly, unusably, slow 16GB Super Talent I bought a few months ago. As a result, tears of joy are streaming down my face. This thing is awesome! Super fast! Firefox runs the way it should, with no hiccups or seemingly endless freezes. I'm in awe of this piece of hardware. No, I haven't run any benchmarks, but the difference is so astonishingly obvious I don't really feel the need to. This thing is worth every penny!

I do think I should give potential buyers a word of warning about the Acronis True Image software that's included with (on) the SSD. Because the cloning process was not as smooth as I would have liked. There were two issues that needed resoloving before everything was "a OK."

The first: After I installed the software and tried to clone my drive, the clone procedure failed with an RPC error which was blamed on a missing scheduler service.

If you get that same error (1722), here's the resolution from the Acronis website:
RPC Server is Unavailable (Error Code: 1722) | Knowledge Base

The second: Upon completing my drive swap I felt I really had no need for the Acronis trial software and so I tried to delete it. Problem is, I couldn't. Indeed Acronis True Image did not even show up in the Add & Remove Programs control panel applet, and there is no uninstaller included in the Acronis directory. Upon researching the issue it turns out this is probably due to a failed, partial install of the software.

Acronis has a resolution for the issue here:
Acronis Clean Up Utility | Knowledge Base

My suggestion, if you are going to use the included cloning software, is to first unplug from the internet, then disable your anti-virus software before installing the Acronis software. Anti-virus software can interfere with installations, and my suspicion is that something like this happened in my case.

« MDD: Runcore PRO IV T-Style vs Light? | Super Talent 256GB 1.8" PATA MLC MasterDrive GF Series ZIF SSD »