My Digital Discount MDD are online retailers of Runcore SSD drives and accessories for your Dell Mini netbook.

(#1) Old
Default RunCore performance increase? - 07-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a RunCore SSD for my Mini9. I am aware that they have a much faster write speed than the stock SSD... will this lead to a lag free browsing experience?

My main issues is that Firefox gets unresponsive at times when I have a medium number of tabs open, it doesn't play full screen youtube vids smoothly, and when reading a large page it scrolls jerkily/unresponsively.

I realize that FF does keep a cache on disk, but I thought that when it was running it mainly cached things in RAM? I recently upgraded to 2gb, and did seem to improve things but overall it's still not satisfactory. Will a RunCore SSD solve my problems?

PS: the flash thing might be a video driver issue (I'm using linux). But would improved write speed solve the browser responsiveness issues?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
  (#2) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM

My Mini 9 has the "slow" 4GB STEC SSD, but Firefox performs almost as well as my faster computers.

I've moved the Firefox disk cache to a RAM disk (you could just turn it off, too). I've also set "" to 0 in "about:config" to reduce Firefox's disk activity.

Flash probably still sucks (I don't have it installed at the moment). But when it comes to Youtube at least, it's easy to download the videos (via a FF extension) and play them in a proper player.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Good idea. I'll set browser.cache.disk.enable to false and see how that goes.

EDIT: excellent, that got rid of 90% of the lag, thanks!

« Any ETA on the 64GB RunCore's? | Runcore SSD in a desktop?? »