MyDellMini Forum

MyDellMini Forum (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/)
-   Mac OS X Guides (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/)
-   -   How to setup Snow Leopard on mini 10v with A06 BIOS (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/12691-how-setup-snow-leopard-mini-10v-a06-bios.html)

jacques1171 09-11-2009 12:06 AM

How to setup Snow Leopard on mini 10v with A06 BIOS

SL won't install the normal way with A06 BIOS it gives KP all the time I didn't want to downgrade Bios as I have had a mini 10 stop responding on the downgrade and the MB is "Fornication Upon Consent of the King" after this happens so I won't take the chance again apparently this happens to every few hundred or so Mini 10's. So I wanted to get a way to install it, this is what worked for me.

You need a Intel Mac and external drive enclosure (2.5 inch SATA)

UPDATE FROM Sat 17 October 2009

Remove keyboard
(you can find pdf on Dell's web site but it's easy)

1. Remove the 3 screws on the back behind the keyboard
2. Unclip the keyboard on the sides
3. From the top fold the keyboard onto the trackpad (be careful with the ribbon cable)
4. Undo the ribbon cable (or you can leave it connected but be careful)
5. Remove the screw that holds the HD and slide the HD to the left
Done

Setting up the Dell mini 10v BIOS A06 (this is what you need a Intel Mac for)

1. Fit the mini 10v HD into external enclosure and plug into you mac
2. Pop in the SL DVD and restart hold in the c key on you mac and boot into SL setup from the DVD
3. Install SL as normal but not onto internal HD install onto the external drive (your dell mini 10v drive) remember to format as GUID Partition
4. Reboot into this drive and setup as normal and do all updates (you can install the res of you applications, move over music and files as you would normally setup your Mac) Download the Netbookbootmaker 0.8.2 (don't use 0.8.3 it causes Kernal Panic) and Netbookinstaller 0.8.2 and 0.8.3 rc3 files expand and save to desktop u will need them later.
5. This step is the most important one install the Netbookbootmaker 0.8.2 and shut down DO NOT RESTART WHILE IT'S CONNECTED TO THE MAC
6. Fit the HD back into the Dell mini 10v and bootup into setup (F12) Make sure USB BIOS Legacy Support, USB Wake Support and Bluetooth is DISABLED (if you have Bluetooth fitted leave it on Enabled) save settings and reboot. The first time it starts it takes long just wait if it take longer than 10 minutes or it gives KP reboot again or try safe boot
7. When in the OS audio won't work so now install the NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 (tick generate dsdt file and leave all the other ticks as is)
8. Reboot, install NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 rc3 (don't generate dsdt file) and repair Disk Permissions
9. Reboot again and every thing works except restart after sleep.

Remember this has worked for me but it's not my fault if any thing goes wrong.(you could leave the drive in the external case and restart selecting USB and boot into the USB Drive, test everything first before you fit it back in the dell mini, you need USB legacy enabled for this and sleep won't work, but at least if any thing go wrong you don't have to remove the drive from the dell mini, this is from step 6)

bmcclure937 09-11-2009 12:23 AM

Moved from Mini 9 Guides to Mac Guides ;)

jacques1171 09-11-2009 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcclure937 (Post 100402)
Moved from Mini 9 Guides to Mac Guides ;)

Thanks!

SORRY I put it in the wrong place.

Max_Carnage 09-11-2009 12:31 AM

Thanks jacques1171. I was thinking this would be the easiest way for me to upgrade if it works, so thanks for confirming that for me!

I'll try this over the weekend.

lugesm 09-13-2009 06:39 PM

Process Confirmation

Since my 10v is still in production at Dell, I tried this exact process on a Mini9. I know, I know, the Mini9 does not have the BIOS issue; I just wanted to confirm the PROCESS before trying this out on a new Mini 10v.

It worked perfectly. No problems. No Issues. :) Thanks jacques1171 ! ! ! .

Of course, this didn't fix audio on the Mini9, but that was not to be expected.

Can't yet state that the process has been confirmed on a 10v, but I will know in a couple of weeks and report back.

Bear Hunter 09-17-2009 04:12 AM

Sorry for the newb question, but I have been reading everything I can because I plan on buying a 10v and installing 10.6.

All my computers are MACs so I do not have access to a PC. If I use this method, I don't need to mess with USB's, or boot from a USB when doing the Mac Hack on a new 10v?

Thanks

lugesm 09-17-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Hunter (Post 102174)
Sorry for the newb question, but I have been reading everything I can because I plan on buying a 10v and installing 10.6.

All my computers are MACs so I do not have access to a PC. If I use this method, I don't need to mess with USB's, or boot from a USB when doing the Mac Hack on a new 10v?

Thanks

That was my experience in loading SL on a Mini9. No PC or USB Stick needed, but you must be able to mount your 2.5" SATA (SSD or Hard Drive) from the 10v in an external USB-connected case.
I will try and duplicate this experience with my Mini10v which is due on the 30th, and I will report the results on this string.

Good luck, and please report back your experience here. :)

chomber 09-17-2009 08:53 AM

But what's the point on doing it so complicated? Why not force the BIOS downgrade to 04 and everything works smoothly by eg. Merklot awesome instructions? (except the known things which are being worked on)

Is there really something in 06 firmware that you "need". I doubt as it's not even available on Dell to upgrade. Also as there is so much trouble on installing the updates are you sure it's going to work on next upgrade or will you see a KP again...

Max_Carnage 09-17-2009 09:37 AM

Well... for starters, you can do an install in ~40 minutes rather than 2-3 hours depending on the speed of your USB stick.

Also, because we're geeks. It's what we do. ;)

lugesm 09-17-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage (Post 102208)

Good answer. :D

Actually, one has to wonder why Dell might have released A05, then A06.
Software development resources are far too valuable to waste on the development of unnecessary BIOS upgrades.

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chomber (Post 102204)
But what's the point on doing it so complicated? Why not force the BIOS downgrade to 04 and everything works smoothly by eg. Merklot awesome instructions? (except the known things which are being worked on)

Is there really something in 06 firmware that you "need". I doubt as it's not even available on Dell to upgrade. Also as there is so much trouble on installing the updates are you sure it's going to work on next upgrade or will you see a KP again...

The point is

BIOS downgrade can be dangerous
It's faster to install
A06 BIOS is necessary
All mini 10v now come with BIOS A06
It's not as complicated as you think

Meklort has asked for a copy of my dsdt file so he can try and get BIOS A06 support (so we don't have to live in the dark ages) if you don't want to use this guide then don't!

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage (Post 102208)
Well... for starters, you can do an install in ~40 minutes rather than 2-3 hours depending on the speed of your USB stick.

Absolutely correct the last install I did "this way" only took 34 minutes from start to finish. (I did use my MacPro Quad core tho, it probably helped)

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugesm (Post 102221)
Good answer. :D

Actually, one has to wonder why Dell might have released A05, then A06.
Software development resources are far too valuable to waste developing unnecessary BIOS upgrades.

Your correct, I don't know what A06 BIOS do and why Dell released it but it cost a small fortune to develop so they wont waste time unnecessary.

I have done a GeekBench test on my mini 10v (BIOS A06) and on a friend's mini 10v (BIOS A04) the rest is the same, my GeekBench result was 1001 his was 937 and my battery last about 20 minutes longer than his. How ever I can't confirm it's the BIOS that makes a difference but it seems strange.

For me to run SL on downgraded BIOS is about like driving a fast car and using low quality fuel WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE FAST CAR!!

Bear Hunter 09-17-2009 08:36 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I feel a lot more comfortable now and am ready to take the plunge.

I'm a PC idiot...and have read the instructions for downgrading bios...and it seems a little too complicated and risky to me. I much prefer 4 screws, external case, and direct loading from my MBP.

Does the bios affect anything other than the ability to load OSX? I mean once I get it on there...there should be no problems operating the OS on the mini right?

Edit...Jacques answered my question... Thanks again for your help Jacques.

Bear Hunter 09-19-2009 07:43 PM

Just picked up a 10v from the outlet store. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to get 10.6 on there.

grc 09-23-2009 09:09 AM

Stripping down seems a bit of a faff, could one not use an Intel mac to install to an external USB disk, then boot the external USB disk on the mini 10v instead of transferring the disk over?

Could then something like Super Duper or Chronosync be used to transfer the bootable partition back to the internal drive?

Max_Carnage 09-23-2009 09:52 AM

There's no "stripping down" to swap the HDD out. Just flip off the keyboard, pull out the HDD. It's easier and quicker than same with a desktop machine!
3 screws... (four if you bother to put the superfluous HDD screw back in). :)

grc 09-23-2009 10:37 AM

Even so, I'm thinking warranty here, not the practicalities.

Max_Carnage 09-23-2009 10:43 AM

Warranty remains intact after removal of HDD.

lugesm 09-23-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage (Post 104029)
There's no "stripping down" to swap the HDD out. Just flip off the keyboard, pull out the HDD. It's easier and quicker than same with a desktop machine!
3 screws... (four if you bother to put the superfluous HDD screw back in). :)

This is presumed to be the only method to use if one has a Mini 10v running with BIOS A06. And, I think the only reason to use this method is to maintain the A06 in the machine as received from Dell.

I note that your signature shows your 10v at A04. Did you have a problem with A06 ?

Max_Carnage 09-23-2009 11:02 AM

Yes. And no. I was having an intermittent problem with wifi after sleep, so I downgraded the BIOS. But it turned out not to be at fault.

jacques1171 09-23-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grc (Post 104027)
Stripping down seems a bit of a faff, could one not use an Intel mac to install to an external USB disk, then boot the external USB disk on the mini 10v instead of transferring the disk over?

Could then something like Super Duper or Chronosync be used to transfer the bootable partition back to the internal drive?

You can do it that way, I have tried it with disk utility on my intel mac it worked but I have a 320 GB hard drive full of stuff on my mini 10 and the process took 9 hours, with stripping the hard drive the process took less than 40 minutes.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Just an update I tried NBI 0.8.3 RC1 on my mini 10v (A06 BIOS) and the result is not to great I would recommend waiting. (use NBI 0.8.2 for now)

With NBI 0.8.2 the only issues I had was
-orange hard drive icon
-no sound after sleep

With NBI 0.8.3 rc1 the issues is as follows
-no sound after sleep but hard drive icons are sorted
-no bluetooth after sleep
-weak wifi signal after sleep
-no restart after sleep

lugesm 09-23-2009 02:33 PM

Not sure what you mean by "hard drive icons are sorted"

Can you describe more clearly?

Thanks

jacques1171 09-23-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugesm (Post 104079)
Not sure what you mean by "hard drive icons are sorted"

Can you describe more clearly?

Thanks

Yes everyone has been having the problem with the hard drive showing up in orange (the way a external drive would show up) the problem was on all the SL upgrade on the mini 9 and mini 10 regardless of BIOS version with NBI 0.8.3 rc1 it now looks like a proper hard drive icon (the grey icon)

ed_vh 09-23-2009 04:46 PM

Does this work with 10.5.8?

Does this method just work with snow leopard or will it work just as well with leopard. I don't fancy downgrading the bios from A06 and don't want to fork out for snow leopard.

Thanks

jacques1171 09-23-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_vh (Post 104124)
Does this method just work with snow leopard or will it work just as well with leopard. I don't fancy downgrading the bios from A06 and don't want to fork out for snow leopard.

Thanks

Yes it works with Leopard.

ed_vh 09-23-2009 08:11 PM

Great, thanks, i will give this a go as soon as the 10v arrives!

I presume I can do all the updates from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 while the 10v's HDD is connected to my intel mac. Is that right? Then just do the netbookmaker prior to the swap back to the mini. Or would I be better to do the updates once the HDD is back in the mini?

utDarkViper 09-24-2009 12:01 PM

Jaques1171, I noticed in your sig that your Mini 10 has 10.6, but your Mini 9 has the 10.6.1. Are there problems upgrading to 10.6.1 on the Mini 10?

jacques1171 09-24-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utDarkViper (Post 104391)
Jaques1171, I noticed in your sig that your Mini 10 has 10.6, but your Mini 9 has the 10.6.1. Are there problems upgrading to 10.6.1 on the Mini 10?

Sorry I have not updated my sig yet I have 10.6.1 on my mini 10v.

jacques1171 09-24-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed_vh (Post 104187)
Great, thanks, i will give this a go as soon as the 10v arrives!

I presume I can do all the updates from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 while the 10v's HDD is connected to my intel mac. Is that right? Then just do the netbookmaker prior to the swap back to the mini. Or would I be better to do the updates once the HDD is back in the mini?

Correct do all the updates while the HD is still connected to your intel mac, It's faster that way, then the NBM before the swap back, move over music, video, apps or any files you want it's quicker than doing it afterwords.

delldo 09-25-2009 01:19 AM

I just used this method to install SL into my new 10v. It couldn't have been any easier. Thanks!

takabanana 09-26-2009 09:12 PM

Dual-boot with Windoze

How will the instructions change if I wanted to keep the Windoze partition for dual-booting? (Ordered my mini 10v today!)

lugesm 09-27-2009 10:18 AM

It appears that the latest Dell Mini-10v computers are now shipping with A07. A lot of revisions of the BIOS !!! Wonder why.

See the thread below:

A post by "jaswai" this morning, September 29 at 5:29AM.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...html#post92205

jemaig 09-27-2009 12:53 PM

audio does not work

I just got my mini 10v and installed snow leopard the way, you described it in that guide.
Dell mini 10v, bios V. 06, OS 10.6.1, nbm 8.3

When I installed nbi 8.3, I left everything as it was and checked the box create dsdt file. It started installing but after a few seconds there was kernel panic. I tried to reboot, but it didn´t work (grey screen, kernel panic).
I reinstalled the system and used nbi 8.2 with the same result.
After the 3 time reinstalling the OS I used NBI 8.2 and unchecked everything except create dsdt file,
But I still don´t have audio.
I have no idea, what I should install in the NBI and what I should avoid to install to solve that problem.
I would be very thankful for any help.
PS.: Thank´s for the great guide!

Bear Hunter 09-27-2009 03:58 PM

I think there are issues with NBM/NBI 8.3RC1. I would redo the entire prcess with 8.2 until those bugs are worked out.

jacques1171 09-27-2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takabanana (Post 105157)
How will the instructions change if I wanted to keep the Windoze partition for dual-booting? (Ordered my mini 10v today!)

I have not done a dual boot, but I will try it and revise the guide if it works.

takabanana 09-27-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacques1171 (Post 105326)
I have not done a dual boot, but I will try it and revise the guide if it works.

That would be awesome! Looking forward to it - thanks!!

jacques1171 09-27-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemaig (Post 105266)
I just got my mini 10v and installed snow leopard the way, you described it in that guide.
Dell mini 10v, bios V. 06, OS 10.6.1, nbm 8.3

When I installed nbi 8.3, I left everything as it was and checked the box create dsdt file. It started installing but after a few seconds there was kernel panic. I tried to reboot, but it didn´t work (grey screen, kernel panic).
I reinstalled the system and used nbi 8.2 with the same result.
After the 3 time reinstalling the OS I used NBI 8.2 and unchecked everything except create dsdt file,
But I still don´t have audio.
I have no idea, what I should install in the NBI and what I should avoid to install to solve that problem.
I would be very thankful for any help.
PS.: Thank´s for the great guide!

The problem is with NBI 0.8.3 RC1 use NBI 0.8.2 I did the guide before 8.3. What you need to do to solve your problem is find the dsdt file under the extra folder and delete it, then re run NBI 0.8.2 and create dsdt file, then repair permission under disk utility this should sort your sound.

But the best thing to do is start from the beginning and use NBM 0.8.2 and NBI 0.8.2 you can use NBI 0.8.3 after you done every thing but don't create dsdt file there is a bug in 8.3 rc1 that it don't actually create the file it should be fixed in 8.3 rc2. But for now I will stick to 8.2. it is more stable than 8.3.

If you can't find the extra folder on your HD then it is probably hidden to unhide extra folder you need to run NBI 8.2 and select show files.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Hunter (Post 105306)
I think there are issues with NBM/NBI 8.3RC1. I would redo the entire prcess with 8.2 until those bugs are worked out.

Probably the best advice!!

Bear Hunter did the guide work for you?

Bear Hunter 09-27-2009 05:52 PM

Jacques,

I'm still waiting for my 2.5 SATA external USB case to arrive. I couldn't find anything local so had to order online. I'm dying to get the mini loaded up!

jacques1171 09-27-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugesm (Post 105253)
It appears that the latest Dell Mini-10v computers are now shipping with A07. A lot of revisions of the BIOS !!! Wonder why.

See the thread below:

A post by "jaswai" this morning, September 29 at 5:29AM.

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...html#post92205

It's interesting to see so many BIOS revisions I can't find the thread but I remember reading someone saying that their mini 10v came with BIOS A09 they also talk about problems with BIOS downgrade, after the downgrade all the enable and disable options in the BIOS becomes unchangeable and they need a new mother board to fix the problem.

But I am sure that my guide will work with whatever BIOS, there is something in the BIOS that causes the KP and with my method it gets bypased.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Hunter (Post 105349)
Jacques,

I'm still waiting for my 2.5 SATA external USB case to arrive. I couldn't find anything local so had to order online. I'm dying to get the mini loaded up!

Good luck with that, let me know how you get on.