MyDellMini Forum

MyDellMini Forum (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/)
-   Mac OS X Guides (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/)
-   -   How to setup Snow Leopard on mini 10v with A06 BIOS (http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-os-x-guides/12691-how-setup-snow-leopard-mini-10v-a06-bios.html)

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chomber (Post 102204)
But what's the point on doing it so complicated? Why not force the BIOS downgrade to 04 and everything works smoothly by eg. Merklot awesome instructions? (except the known things which are being worked on)

Is there really something in 06 firmware that you "need". I doubt as it's not even available on Dell to upgrade. Also as there is so much trouble on installing the updates are you sure it's going to work on next upgrade or will you see a KP again...

The point is

BIOS downgrade can be dangerous
It's faster to install
A06 BIOS is necessary
All mini 10v now come with BIOS A06
It's not as complicated as you think

Meklort has asked for a copy of my dsdt file so he can try and get BIOS A06 support (so we don't have to live in the dark ages) if you don't want to use this guide then don't!

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage (Post 102208)
Well... for starters, you can do an install in ~40 minutes rather than 2-3 hours depending on the speed of your USB stick.

Also, because we're geeks. It's what we do. ;)

Absolutely correct the last install I did "this way" only took 34 minutes from start to finish. (I did use my MacPro Quad core tho, it probably helped)

jacques1171 09-17-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugesm (Post 102221)
Good answer. :D

Actually, one has to wonder why Dell might have released A05, then A06.
Software development resources are far too valuable to waste developing unnecessary BIOS upgrades.

Your correct, I don't know what A06 BIOS do and why Dell released it but it cost a small fortune to develop so they wont waste time unnecessary.

I have done a GeekBench test on my mini 10v (BIOS A06) and on a friend's mini 10v (BIOS A04) the rest is the same, my GeekBench result was 1001 his was 937 and my battery last about 20 minutes longer than his. How ever I can't confirm it's the BIOS that makes a difference but it seems strange.

For me to run SL on downgraded BIOS is about like driving a fast car and using low quality fuel WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE FAST CAR!!

Bear Hunter 09-17-2009 08:36 PM

Thanks guys for the help. I feel a lot more comfortable now and am ready to take the plunge.

I'm a PC idiot...and have read the instructions for downgrading bios...and it seems a little too complicated and risky to me. I much prefer 4 screws, external case, and direct loading from my MBP.

Does the bios affect anything other than the ability to load OSX? I mean once I get it on there...there should be no problems operating the OS on the mini right?

Edit...Jacques answered my question... Thanks again for your help Jacques.

Bear Hunter 09-19-2009 07:43 PM

Just picked up a 10v from the outlet store. Should be here on Friday, can't wait to get 10.6 on there.

grc 09-23-2009 09:09 AM

Stripping down seems a bit of a faff, could one not use an Intel mac to install to an external USB disk, then boot the external USB disk on the mini 10v instead of transferring the disk over?

Could then something like Super Duper or Chronosync be used to transfer the bootable partition back to the internal drive?

Max_Carnage 09-23-2009 09:52 AM

There's no "stripping down" to swap the HDD out. Just flip off the keyboard, pull out the HDD. It's easier and quicker than same with a desktop machine!
3 screws... (four if you bother to put the superfluous HDD screw back in). :)

grc 09-23-2009 10:37 AM

Even so, I'm thinking warranty here, not the practicalities.

Max_Carnage 09-23-2009 10:43 AM

Warranty remains intact after removal of HDD.

lugesm 09-23-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max_Carnage (Post 104029)
There's no "stripping down" to swap the HDD out. Just flip off the keyboard, pull out the HDD. It's easier and quicker than same with a desktop machine!
3 screws... (four if you bother to put the superfluous HDD screw back in). :)

This is presumed to be the only method to use if one has a Mini 10v running with BIOS A06. And, I think the only reason to use this method is to maintain the A06 in the machine as received from Dell.

I note that your signature shows your 10v at A04. Did you have a problem with A06 ?