Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old
Expert Member
Default Fun with GMA 950 and EFI string - 02-10-2009, 12:34 AM

I have had some interesting results playing with EFI string and the Mini 9 GMA 950.

With the included EFI string I was able to change the Device ID from 27ae to 2772 and still be able to load the proper resolution.

When changing the Device ID to 27a2 (the one of a MacBook) the drivers refuse to load... maybe someone else could take this one step further.

I tried removing the GMA950 and FrameBuffer from the /Extra/Extensions1 folder without success...

So clearly the Device ID change trigger the video drivers to work or not work. I was hoping that by using the Macbook GMA 950 Device ID that the standard KEXT would load without requiring any hack... not so ;-(

If you want to try this simple copy the hex code from the desired folder and put this in the Apple boot.plist... If you have no idea of what I am talking about then you probably should not attempt this or you Mini may go totally bad ;-)

File attached to this post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GMA950 Dell Mini (37.2 KB, 173 views)

Dell Mini 9
OS X 10.5.6
  (#2) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM

tried to use this efi 2772 string, but on P5L-VM 1394 Desktop ...
  (#3) Old
Default 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Efi strings are extremely vendor specific. And OS specific too (driver set + dsdt...)

For instance, when 10.6 came out, my fassl generated string for 9600m GT 512 GDDR3 under 10.5 had different behaviour, lost HDMI and QE or CI, can't remember which. Same string, different OS

I had to re-generate within 10.6 and dsdt fix for it external VGA and/or HDMI

geeting audio to work with on my ex-laptop was dead simple under 10.5, but I really had to go in dsdt to be able to get basic AUDIO support!!! It went to hell and back with this one!!

Helping others guys and gals with the same brand, model and specs, except 9600m GT 1GB GDDR2 had to generate their own string!

Exact same gfx card but on different vendor... very very slim chance to even work, let alone full potencial...

Absolutely the best thing that can be done is to manually patch the dsdt file to include/exclude/tweak whatever you'd like. Its not that hard actually, but quite intimidating at first.

If you change vendor ID in kexts, they will obviously not find the hardware, unless you change the hardware ID, which I think can only be done via dsdt. What in normally done is the opposite, edit kext to find non-apple-standard ID, or Enablers, like the older HDA enabler, which "morphed" these to translate to VoodooHDA what your system actually had, that could not be read correctly by OSx...

I think my facts are right here, confirmation welcome!

The BlackMini 10v | 2GB | Seagate 320GB 7,200 rpm | A06 -> A04 (NBI 0.8.3 RC5) | OSX 10.6.2 | Voodoo Power Mini (w/ Sleep Stepping) | ******* My easy 10v trackpad and palm rest mod ->
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 12-21-2009, 06:07 PM

Reading this thread I involuntarily start to smell smoke....

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here

« Slow booting: Snow Leopard or the kexts? | Just a thought »