Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default FakeSMC Editing - 03-15-2010, 06:28 AM

I've been looking into getting rid of that "generic Mac" icon that appears on other Macs in the Network section for my 10v, and replacing it with something a little more "MacBook mini".

I found the new aluminum MacBook Pro icon to be VERY similar to the aesthetics of the 10v, so, I created a custom SMBIOS plist file to change the System Profiler info to that of a MacBook Pro. And indeed, it did. System Profiler now shows my 10v to be a MacBook Pro (MacBook mini, actually, I changed the name, but that's irrelevant), and the icon for my 10v changed to a the Aluminum/black MacBook Pro icon.

Perfect, right? Almost. For whatever reason, the icon doesn't want to "broadcast" to other Macs on my network and it's still giving me the Generic Mac icon.

So, after reading these two guides:

[GUIDE]Creating your own SMBIOS.plist | Prasys' Blog

AND

Editing FakeSMC | Prasys' Blog

I've come to the conclusion that perhaps an edited FakeSMC kext would do the trick, and according to some posts on the FakeSMC site, may also speed up boot times as well. Of course, I'm kinda skeptical of this.

Am I incorrect to assume this would solve the "problem" of the generic Mac icon?

Also, I'm still a little unsure of the process of adding/editing kexts. My understanding is that I would edit the SMC kext as the guide suggests, save it, then copy it to Extra/Extensions, and then run the UpdateExtra application. Is this correct?

And if Meklort is listening/reading, I noticed changing/creating an SMBIOS plist created an error in NetBookInstaller. Upon opening, it gives me this;

"Unsupported Device - You are running this application on an unsupported device. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Would this create any problems with NBI? I can't imagine that it would, but I thought I'd ask. Or, would an edited FakeSMC create problems for NBI?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.
  (#2) Old

Default 03-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Could you post the icon? Would like to see what you had in mind

Mini 10v | N270 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Mini 10v | N280 | OSX 10.6.2 | NBI 0.8.3 | 1GB RAM | 160GB | BIOS A05|
Dell Mini 10v OSX FAQ
twitter

(#3) Old

Default 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM

Gladly!

Here's the icon:

A shot of what it looks like in the Sidebar:

And a shot of System Profiler:
  (#4) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 03:13 PM

I think, if I may intrude, this has to be taken into account by the programmers of NetBookMaker and NetBookInstaller, as FakeSMC.kext is residing inside the extensions.mkext that is generated during installation.

I tried to manually expand/unpack extensions.mkext, in order to fix FakeSMC.kext and to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (I wanted to try C-States in my own DSDT) but had no luck re-packing it properly...
  (#5) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Why not just edit the FakeSMC kext that's installed on your computer instead of trying to change the one in the installer?
  (#6) Old

Default 03-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side.Step.Society View Post
Why not just edit the FakeSMC kext that's installed on your computer instead of trying to change the one in the installer?
Because NBI creates a packaged extensions.mkext where INSIDE the fakesmc.kext resides. I cannot change it otherwise. I am not aware of any other method...
Besides, does anyone have a working modified fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist already? I mean, with your modification to show the icon etc.
  (#7) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 12:30 AM

Ahh, yes. I see now.

I imagine there are FakeSMC kexts out there for the Aluminum MacBook/MacBook Pro. The only thing I really changed from the MacBook Pro details was the product name from "MacBook Pro blah blah blah" to "MacBook mini".

However, I also imagine that just following the "Editing FakeSMC" kext and installing it (without first removing the FakeSMC kext installed by NBI) would lead to some sort of conflict.

Perhaps it would be easier to start with a pre-modified FakeSMC for a MacBook/Pro, try copying it into NBI's resources somehow, then using NBI to do the installing?
  (#8) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM

dear side.step.society are you perhaps confusing FakeSMS.kext with smbios.plist? In my current hackintosh (a desktop) it was via smbios.plist that I made it seen as MacPro3,1 revision, and in Bonjour I do get the icon of a MacPro workstation.

I have handy (at home, unfortunately) a couple of working smbios.plist files, for MacBook2,1 and MacBookAir1,1 that could be compatible with the style of hardware for your netbook. I have a Del 1011 (10v) and recently, when playing with NetBookInstaller, I used the smbios for MacBook2,1 as the closest...
Let me know.

BUT: If you have used NetBookInstaller/Maker, you must know that it's using an SMBIOSresolver.kext instead of the plain smbios.plist file (which I cannot remove, even for testing, from extensions.mkext) therefore using them together causes conflicts to poor OSX... I am still looking for a solution.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Perhaps I am getting them confused, I'm kinda new to kexts/SMBIOS/FakeSMC/all that jazz.

However, I believe SMBIOS.plist and FakeSMC are closely related, no? And for most Hackintoshs (I'm not 100% sure, could be wrong on this), MacPro is the default used, no? At least, this was my experience.

I have used NBI, and I have added a custom SMBIOS.plist to my extras folder, which has indeed updated my System Profile to MacBook (Or MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air, etc.), however, on other Macs, I'm still getting the generic icon.

This is where I thought FakeSMC would need to be changed. I was under the impression that editing the info file inside the FakeSMC kext was kind of a "step up" after editing/creating an SMBIOS.plist. Whereas, SMBIOS.plist was more of a cosmetical modification, FakeSMC was more of a... "system/core" modification? Is this incorrect?
  (#10) Old

Default 03-19-2010, 07:52 PM

AFAIK the stuff in fakeSMC that people edit that's sort of like smbios stuff, is purely cosmetic and is to show a "correct" SMC firmware version eg 1.23f20 for 1st MBA. Doesn't do anything, except where this # is used by a app to check compatibility.

Whereas the model identifier that can be set in smbios.plist (or the old way via SMBIOSResolver.kext) can cause stuff to work differently, or not work (eg: DVD player app works if OS X thinks it's an MBA rather than MBP or iMac etc).

When you call your machine MacBook Mini via Model Identifier, OS X does not know what that is. I would imagine that is why the icon is not showing up correctly.

If you define it as MacBook4,1 or whatever version you prefer, then OS X will recognise it. Ideally, perhaps even mandatory, is also to set the SMfamily, SMboardversion and SMbiosversion to "match" your selection for SMproductname, SMname.

Gets more complex if u have smbios.plist and SMBIOSResolver, as generally the .plist takes priority.

Of course, this is different to the name you broadcast using Bonjour etc, that can be set in the Sharing preference pane.

« Find/Dev Kexts | Strange Error after installing voodoopower »