Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old

Default Is Hibernation actually possible? - 11-22-2009, 04:28 PM

I'm a little confused but what I think I learned from reading around the forums is that you can't actually hibernate a dell hackintosh but you can disable hibernation so that you can free the disk space that is allocated for the hibernation image?

Something related to bios vs EFI ?

Is this correct?
  (#2) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 05:59 PM

I have always thought hibernate and sleep were inter-changeable when we are talking about OSX.

Obviously Windows has a sleep and a hibernation mode.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM

Hibernation *is* possible, but it requires a hacked Chameleon boot file.

I'm leery of it because I don't trust the charge indicator completely to start hibernation quickly enough. Also, when my MacBook would hibernate, it almost took the same amount of time for it to boot the hibernation image as it did to do a fresh boot. And it's nice to have that extra 2GB (in my case) free for storage.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM

As of the latest NBI 0.8.3 RC4 it works fine on my 10v without any special files or edits. I just set my mini to always hibernate and never sleep. Takes about 10 seconds now to hibernate (I assume that's the time to write out a 2G memory image to my HD) and 15 to wake. I like being able to come back to where I was with all my windows open as before. I used smartsleep to set the sleep state but you can do it with terminal also. Since I'm not a student when I close my mini it'll be 15-20 minutes at least before its open again (I'm driving somewhere) and so sleep is just a battery drainer for me. YMMV.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#5) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
As of the latest NBI 0.8.3 RC4 it works fine on my 10v without any special files or edits. I just set my mini to always hibernate and never sleep. Takes about 10 seconds now to hibernate (I assume that's the time to write out a 2G memory image to my HD) and 15 to wake. I like being able to come back to where I was with all my windows open as before. I used smartsleep to set the sleep state but you can do it with terminal also. Since I'm not a student when I close my mini it'll be 15-20 minutes at least before its open again (I'm driving somewhere) and so sleep is just a battery drainer for me. YMMV.
I'm also keen to get my 10v to hibernate as well as sleep - again not for the shutdown / startup time but because I'd like to be able to pick up where I left off. I'm used to the windows world and hibernate my work laptop and my wife's laptop all the time - wouldn't dream of shutting it down and closing down all the running apps. Sleep on the 10v is great as I can leave it overnight and it'll still have charge in the morning, but sometimes I can't guarantee that it'll be fully charged before I sleep it and also may leave it for a few days before I use it again.
I'm running 10.6.2 and 0.8.3 RC4. What settings did you choose to enable hibernate? (i.e. NetbookInstaller options, terminal commands, system prefs, bios options etc). I have my machine now running fine with hibernate off and using sleep only, but it took me a while to get rid of the "sleepimage to old" message on boot andI'm concerned that if I re-run NBI and select "enable hibernate" that won't be enough and will give me issues again.

Mini 10v | 2Gb RAM | 160 Gb HDD | OSX 10.6.6 | Latest NBI | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : OFF | No BT
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 11-22-2009, 10:51 PM

So the latest one works with hibernation? That's cool. It's also nice to know that the shutdown/startup speed is snappier. Maybe I'll have to check it out sometime. One quick question: are you on 10.5 or 10.6?

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#7) Old

Default 11-22-2009, 11:29 PM

is this only for the 10 or can we get it working on 9 with the NBI option?

Mini 9 | 2gb RAM | 16GB SSD / 8GB SDHC | OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard | NBI 0.8.4RC1
Apple TV | 160GB | CrystalHD
iPhone 4
Powermac G5 Tower | 2x 2.0GHZ | 8GB Ram | 160+250 GB HDD | OS X 10.5.8 Leopard | 24" Acer
  (#8) Old

Default 11-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Not to get more confusing but i did read a thread that on 10.5.8 you could hibernate. I'm running 10.6.2 on a 10v ... any information would be appreciated however.
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-23-2009, 02:22 AM

Foo, I see my sig is out of date. I dropped back to 10.5.8 on my 10v and hibernate works nice for me. I used SmartSleep to set my mini to hibernate only. I did a standard NBI 0.8.4 RC4 install with the enable hibernation checkbox selected along with generate dstl, install extensions, install Chameleon. I can boot from a 10.6.2 external USB HD so I'll try that over the next few days to see if it works for hibernation (might be trouble since its an external drive but I'll try) and post any useful info here.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#10) Old

Default 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM

now what really interests me, is it possible to have the 10v behave like my macbook right now? I have it set to sleep when I close the lid, and if it sits there for a couple of days and the battery dies it goes to hibernation automatically. so when I open the lid again, the macbook is completly shut off but after pressing the power button it resumes from hibernation.

I havent actually tested this with the dell mini 10v I have, since I never had it sleep for so long.

« Building 100% Vanilla on 10v (starting with fully working Audio) | Remote Access for Mac »