Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old
Question What internal name does a SL Mini 10v use to identify itself to OSX?? - 11-15-2009, 10:12 PM

This is something of a cross-post, so apologies. However, the original thread in the MacOSX 10v forum didn't receive any replies, and mods are free to delete it; I promise not to repost if this one also goes unanswered. But I am hoping that someone more familiar with modifying kext files may have a suggestion on how to proceed.

I have an external Superdrive from a MacBook Air that I'd like to use with my 10v mini running SL 10.6.2. Apple, in their infinite wisdom, built a restriction into the USB storage device kext/plug-in to only permit the MBA Superdrive to work with the MacBook Air and certain Mac Minis.

So far, I've found two written descriptions of how to hack things to get the drive to work on unsupported Macs: one is a hardware hack w/some soldering (changing out the controller daughter board, which wouldn't be the end of the world, I suppose). The other is modifying the plugin support file, as these instructions suggest:

Mac-n-Things: MacBook Air SuperDrive

The above instructions call for two things I am not sure I have correct:

1) the internal name used by the Mac OS for the machine (such as "MacBookAir2,1")

2) holding down the Option key during bootup on a regular Mac to get the boot loader to recognize the drive.

I've tried modifying a copy of the plugin ( /System/Library/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext
/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBODD.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleUSBODD ) as suggested above, using the values "Inspiron 1011" and "Mac", which is how my machine identifies itself in Profiler, but I am not sure those are correct, and furthermore I am unsure of the correct method to get the bootloader to recognize the external drive during bootup.

Anyone want to offer some suggestions on how to accomplish this? Thanks!

Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSD | BT 2.1 | Mini 10 trackpad | SL 10.6.2

« making usb os x installer from a usb image | panic during scrolling »