Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#21) Old
Expert Member
Default 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by chewy View Post
thanks, grassle for linking the step by step. worked like a charm.

should I run this on 10v too?
I wouldn't run on a netbook/notebook without being able to have some sort of speedstepping involved. These things aren't designed for the CPU to be running at 100% all the time. I can remember how happy I was when the original VoodooPower kext came out so I could run OS X on my Dell D830 laptop.

It was the first thing I did with my mini9 after the basic boot132 install. And after switching to DellEFI. And again after buying a 10v and switching to NBM/NBI.

So short answer, yes it also works on the mini10v and I'd suggest anyone running OS X on any mini (mini9, A90 or min10v) install the newer VoodooPowerMini kext. (As opposed to the plain VoodooPower kext)

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#22) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to unclemiltie
Default 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM

I tried to enable this on my 10v with 10.6.1 this morning with no change.

CPU-i still reports that I'm always running at 1596 Mhz (oddly, two CPU's?)

the only thing that I noticed different was that the first boot after installing the kext took FOREVER

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

oops, never mind. It's working now. Must have been that second reboot that got things going?
  (#23) Old
Default 11-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Probably the kernel cache was being rebuilt the first reboot.
  (#24) Old
Default 11-14-2009, 08:42 AM

I tried this on my 10v and it worked after the second reboot. and it really seems to make a difference. the mini is not running as hot and the battery life improved quiet a bit.
  (#25) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 05:58 AM

I can say that I agree completely w/ 4saken ... _noticeably_ cooler, and the battery life seems like it has increase from around 2.5hrs to around 3 hrs. I am running 10.5.8 in a Mini10v.

BTW, I can't get CPU-I to run ... I 've tried several versions, including the one from InsanelyMac. They either crash upon startup, or simply don't register any readings (the .kext is not loading ... don't know why).

Instead I'm using CPU-X, and it does show the cpu cranking up to 1596MHz under full load, and then back to 798MHz while idle. Other various activities show it switching through all the multipliers between 6 and 12, inclusive, it seems.

I note that if I am typing or scrolling around a lot, it still does get warm, but seems to cool off more quickly when not under load/use.

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation

« Is Target Disc Mode even possible? | BIOS Downgrade through Wine or Dosbox? »