Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#41) Old
Default 11-17-2009, 01:52 AM

Jolicloud is now looking for volunteers to test their next release on GMA 500 - Poulsbo netbooks and nettops.
  (#42) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 11-25-2009, 10:01 AM

I got my invite the same day I signed up for it, works well, detected my 3g card and setup fine

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#43) Old
Default 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM

I installed jolicloud a few weeks ago and It works well. It is the best linix I've had installed on my mini 9 and I like it better than windows xp or the windows 7rc I had on it. Since I've installed it I've found myself using the mini more and my ipod touch less at home.

The only issue I have is the that fullscreen video playback is choppy. I did not have this problem with windows or moblin. Does anyone know of a solution?
  (#44) Old
Smile 12-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Hey Joli users! Some good news was recently put on the Jolicloud Blog: Jolicloud - Blog

The new pre-beta release is coming! No more invitation codes to deal with either. See the blog post for all the information on changes and innovations coming to Joli. The OS continues to run smoothly on my mini 9, and I am really looking forward to a move away from the UNR look in future updates.

EDIT: It appears that we won't have to re-download Joli and make a new LiveUSB. It seems that the updater will do it all by itself. Nice.
  (#45) Old
Default Jolicloud pre-beta - 12-07-2009, 06:01 AM

I had this iso emailed to me but I understand it is not quite ready. This works well on dell mini 10/12. Like installing jaunty but without the effort. Has latest kernel which is great.

Acceleration, network, sound, brightness works without any glitches unlike karmic. You may want to go to preferences/startup and uncheck maximus.

If you already have belmont disk, you can copy over the /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/plugins/libgstflu* into ~/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins. If you have belmont disk without it installed, you need to load a live disk which works with squashfs 3.1 (an older one), mount -o loop boot.img ./tempdirectory and then from that mount -o loop rootfs.img ./tempdirectory-2 and the fluendo files are in that. There may be a more elegant way to do this.

If you received the mini 10/12 with windows, you would have to buy the fluendo codec pack and download the "lpia" version to get hardware decoding in movie player for 720p and 1080p clips. If you were to just grab the (illegal in U.S.) medibuntu stuff, the hardware decoding doesn't work quite right for h264. The fluendo lpia binaries can be copied to ~/.gstreamer-0.10/plugins in either case of having the belmont disk or buying them.

I like the jolicloud interface, it seems like what dell should have done in the first place with its interface.

The fact that GMA 500 works otob and codecs work makes me a bit more confident in the upgrade cycle of this product. Vanilla ubuntu cracked up when I went to 9.10 and while it was not a big struggle to get it working, I never did get the (quite important to me) hardware HD video decoding working again.
  (#46) Old
Default 12-11-2009, 09:52 PM

I tried Jolicloud last night, the latest version they had. First of all, it's supposed to install right on top of your current Windows installation, so I downloaded their recommended install program and tried to install it on a separate partition, it took forever to extract and then gave me some cryptic error and stopped installing. Then I decided to try to install it on the main partition, this time it seemed to install with no problems, the computer rebooted, and it gave me an error saying it was missing the root partition. I googled around without much help (I found some stuff that applied to Ubuntu but there was no way of getting into the boot loader settings when Jolicloud was booting up).

After this I decided to try a fresh install, as this OS really looked promising and I wanted to test it out. That install went alright with no problems. The OS bootup time was relatively quick, nothing special. I got the code, created my Jolicloud account and installed some apps (VLC, Dropbox, Skype etc). Yes everything works out of the box; the WiFi connected right away, and the screen resolution was proper for my Dell Mini 10. Overall, the OS itself is slow, if you run more than 1 app at a time it gets sluggish. Navigating between windows is awkward and it asks you for a wifi and keyring password every time you connect to your wireless network which is a huge pain. Also, when I opened the file explorer to browse the network, it would open and then close right away, so I couldn't get to any of networked files.

If you have Windows 7 or even Windows XP on your Dell Mini right now I would not recommend installing this. Yes the screenshots look nice and yes it's nice to have a free operating system but it's just too slow, after a few hours of playing with it I put Windows 7 back on.
  (#47) Old
Default Beta available without invitation! - 12-11-2009, 10:55 PM

"After months of private alpha testing, the folks at Jolicloud have launched a public beta version of the netbook operating system called Jolicloud Express. In other words, anyone can download and install it now. You don’t need an invitation."

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
  (#48) Old
Default 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM

I have Jolicloud running on my mini-10 and am pleased that GMA500 graphics works now.
I was having a problem with Jolicloud USB Creator in Windows and the ISO I downloaded.
Every time I tried to "copy" the ISO to a stick using the USB creator, it gave me an error: "disk contents corrupted"
I tried several times with different SD cards in the stick. I even uninstalled Jolicloud USB Creator and installed a later version (1.2.1).
I still got the corruption error after writing and testing.
Finally I copied the ISO to a Linux partition and used the second Linux method shown on this page at Jolicloud.
The first Linux method on this page resulted in some unmet dependencies.
Jolicloud - Partition Install Guide
Create a Jolicloud USB key manually

Please note that you should use this process only if the Jolicloud USB Creator does not support your current operating system.
You will need to create a Jolicloud USB key to boot from to install Jolicloud. Whether you use a USB key or a flash disk, the process is the same.
Please make sure your USB key is formatted into FAT16 or FAT32.

The Linux installation program requires Python 2.4 or later. Python is standard on most modern Linux desktops. If you don't have it, install the 'python' package according to your Linux distribution's instructions.
  1. Click here to download a program called Linux Image Writer.
  2. Plug your USB key in your computer.
  3. If you already have content on the USB key, please backup any necessary content, close all folders, and unmount all drives related to it.
  4. Open a Terminal and go to the directory where you downloaded the file: cd /the/path/to/your/directory
  5. Change the script permissions and run the program: chmod a+x
    sudo ./ jolicloud-robby-alphaN-live.img
I substituted "jolicloud-latest.iso" for "jolicloud-robby-alphaN-live.img"

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand
  (#49) Old
Default 12-12-2009, 07:30 AM

I also installed Jolicloud on my mini 12. It is simply amazing. So sleek and efficient. The Wine part is cool too, adding the possibility to run many (but not all) Windows apps.

I greatly encourage everyone to try it. It worth the time to download and install it.

If we experience issues, the Get Satisfaction board is very useful. Everyone is ready to help.
  (#50) Old
Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM

I've used Jolicloud a few months ago as well as installed it with Express (very easy, everything works) a few days ago.

However compared to Windows 7 honestly it feels a little sluggish on my Mini9 in comparison. Overall it is nice and slick and I cannot wait to try out future releases.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta

« Problem installing Wifi Driver for Meego v1.0 | Chrome OS Volume Control? »