Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Optimal CFLAGS for Intel Atom processors - 11-10-2008, 01:09 AM

This weekend I've tortured my poor little Dell by running ACOVEA(Analysis of Compiler Options Via Evolutionary Algorithm) on it to see what the optimal flags are, and if they would make a noticeable performance difference. The results should be the same across all Atom-based netbooks, since they share a common platform. Here are the results.

If you're interested in the raw data, and the best-of-the-best and common compiler flags, they are located here. I'll be taking the common options from the tests, and adding them to my CFLAGS to see if I get a noticeable increase in performance.

EDIT: For those of you interested in the common options, here they are: -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -falign-functions -falign-labels -falign-loops -fbranch-target-load-optimize -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fbtr-bb-exclusive -fcaller-saves -fcrossjumping -fcse-follow-jumps -fcse-skip-blocks -fdelete-null-pointer-checks -fexpensive-optimizations -ffloat-store -fgcse -fgcse-after-reload -fgcse-las -fgcse-lm -fgcse-sm -finline-functions -finline-limit=600 -fmodulo-sched -fno-cprop-registers -fno-defer-pop -fno-delayed-branch -fno-function-cse -fno-if-conversion -fno-if-conversion2 -fno-inline -fno-merge-constants -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-thread-jumps -fno-tree-ccp -fno-tree-copyrename -fno-tree-dce -fno-tree-dominator-opts -fno-tree-dse -fno-tree-fre -fno-tree-lrs -fno-tree-sra -foptimize-sibling-calls -fpeel-loops -fpeephole2 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fregmove -freorder-blocks -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -freschedule-modulo-scheduled-loops -fsched-interblock -fsched-spec -fschedule-insns -fschedule-insns2 -fstrength-reduce -fstrict-aliasing -fthread-jumps -ftracer -ftree-loop-im -ftree-loop-ivcanon -ftree-loop-linear -ftree-pre -ftree-vectorize -ftree-vrp -funit-at-a-time -funroll-all-loops -funroll-loops -funsafe-math-optimizations -funswitch-loops -fvariable-expansion-in-unroller -lm -lrt -maccumulate-outgoing-args -march=prescott -mfpmath=sse,387 -mieee-fp -minline-all-stringops -mno-align-stringops -mno-push-args -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -std=gnu99

I used GCC 4.1.2 for this analysis.

« Wolvix 1.1.0 Cub on USB Thumbdrive | Gentoo install instructions »