Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Wolvix 1.1.0 Cub on USB Thumbdrive - 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM

A while back I installed Wolvix 1.1.0 Cub onto a USB Thumbdrive (Verbatim Store 'N' Go 512MB). It was a nice little linux distro that detected the wireless card on my Gateway MX6440.

Recently I got a Mini 9 running XP and decided to give Wolvix a try on it. Here are my experiences so far, with what work arounds I have found.

1st thing is I boot up the wolvix with the following arguments.
wolvix from=/dev/sda1 copy2ram
sda1 is the USB Thumbdrive that holds the configuration files for wolvix.

2nd the resolution is set at 800x600. While this stretches things out a bit it is not unusable.

3rd thing Wireless. For me this is the most important thing. I had to use ndiswrapper and the XP drivers in order to get it to work. Here are the commands I used.
ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda2/drivers/network/R192575/bcmwl5.inf
ndiswrapper -m
modprobe wlan0
iwconfig wlan0 essid <Your Wireless Network Name>
dhcpcd wlan0
hda2 is the C:\ drive as detected by Wolvix. This is just the way I did it with my setup, yours may very.

After that all I had to do was edit the /etc/wifi-radar.conf file to point to wlan0 for WifiRadar to recognize it.

4th Sound. Okay this one is the bane of my existence at the moment. I have no idea how to get this to work. If anyone is familar with either Wolvix or Slackware and know how to get it to work please let me know.

So far that is it. Since all I want from any computer is the ability to go online and play media files, this is all I have done. If you want to know more, ask me/give me instructions for what you want me to check and I'll see what I can do.

If I've made any errors, please feel free to point them out.

Dell Mini 9 Obsidian 2GB RAM Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on 4 GB USB Stick.

« looking for a liveusb distro w/ partimage, having problems | Optimal CFLAGS for Intel Atom processors »