Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Arrow formating a SDHC card - 03-13-2009, 02:05 AM

ok, I've already posted this question on the mini ubuntu forum but well... just in case of.... ops:

do you know how to format a SDHC? Gnome Partition Editor doesn't see the card ?
I want to format mine in ext2

Sorry, English in not my first language :-\

Dell mini 9, runs on Ubuntu 8.10
(also owns an Aspire one, but well... :-)
  (#2) Old
Default Re: formating a SDHC card - 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Unmount the SD card, open a terminal and type the following command:

sudo mkfs.ext2 /dev/mmcblk0p1
  (#3) Old
Default Don't read!!! - 06-19-2010, 03:44 PM

And what would the command be if I have a micro SDHC in an SD adapter in a USB adapter and all this pluged in a USB port?
I desperately try to remove a live Jolicloud from this card.
I booted GPartEd on my girlfriend's desktop: not visible, shut down: hang for hours finding errors, turn off pressing pc button: lost her documents partition ... two days recovery , finely all saved. Booted on mine: same not visible/errors for ages situation... I read somewhere something about "unmound" command, typed "unmound sdd1(something)" and saved my disks and partitions .
I almost hated Jolicloud for all this, the card can't be formated under Windows either(visible in disk managment but no permision), not even with Partition Wizard(not even visible).
Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Me and everybody else reading this thread should admit that I deserve congratulations, since I managed to resolve my problem my self. I 'm a live proof that every issue has a solution if you examine the facts carefully. Well I formated the microSDHC card after placing the slide-lock at the correct position..........................your laughter sounds up here, SORRY for reading.

« Activating Multi-touch in a Mini-1012 in Ubuntu | how can i triple boot XP + Jolicloud + Moblin? »