Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu 8.10 Easy Install - 03-05-2009, 02:11 AM

I decided to take the plunge and installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Mini. I used the desktop 32 bit version and the Dell external DVD drive. The install took about 30 minutes and everything worked except sound. A quick Google returned the following URL:
I followed the directions exactly and now sound works great. Next I imported my MP3s into RythmBox, but it wouldn't play them due to missing codecs. So, Ubuntu automatically brings up an interface to add packages and in a few minutes my MP3s were playing. Now, the coolest part, Ubuntu found and configured my wireless Brother 2170w laser printer all by itself! Ok, I did have to "discover" the printer icon under administration, select wireless, and click OK several times.
I had used Linux and even tried Ubuntu in the past, but I had no idea it had matured like this. My Mini originally had an 8GB SSD and I replaced it with a 16GB STEC that I bought used from a user. I had to load Windows on the new drive when it arrived; it took most of the day to get it working and get apps installed. Ubuntu was surfing the web and working within an hour! The last time I played with Linux, I had Suse 8 and Fedora 5 or 6. I'm not sure when, it has been a few years. All I really wanted was to free up some disk space so I wouldn't have to buy a RunCore. Now, I am just in awe at how excellent Ubuntu and Linux are and trying to figure out what to do with 10GB of free space. Anyone have some guidance on jazzing up Gnome? The whole earth theme is kinda drab. For anyone on the fence; take the plunge!

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium

« 1024x600 Resolution has left the building! Please come back | hakin9 »