Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 03-13-2009, 07:51 PM

You can follow the discussion on getting Linux Mint sound to work here:

(#12) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by tmshih
You can follow the discussion on getting Linux Mint sound to work here:

Awesome, that's what I was going to try assuming I didn't hear anything back. Thanks!

My Dell Mini 9
Obsidian Black / Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.1 / 1.3MP Webcam
  (#13) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 03-14-2009, 12:28 PM

So yeah..I used a LiveUSB the other night and gave Mint a run on my fullsized laptop ..(forgive me) a Toshiba A215-S4757 with the Atheros wifi chipset...well it was great..except couldnt get the Atheros to be recognized by Mint.... Had the same problem with Ubuntu..i am thinkin of using the NDIS, but i just dont want to deal with the hastle .... I will stick with the win7 beta for now..
  (#14) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to thcrw739
Default Re: Linux Mint - 03-14-2009, 02:40 PM

Anyone else having a problem getting there sd cards to show up in gparted?

It mounts fine & i can look in it, I can mess with it from terminal, but doesnt show up in gparted at all no matter what i do.

I have mint on my desktop as well & the sd card does show up just fine in gparted.
  (#15) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 04-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Much better Linux Mint support from Mint's own forums:

Mint 6 Felicia is based on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid, so the same "issues" on a Mini-9 are common to both. In addition to the Linux Mint forums, I'd also direct you to where there is an awesome how-to on running Intrepid on a Mini-9. No sense repeating it here.

Direct link: ... ini-9.html

As for Mint or Ubuntu on other hardware, specifically the Atheros wifi problem mentioned, one of the most common problems these days (in my observation) involves Atheros 5xxx series chipsets. There are multiple kernel drivers that COULD work, and only one that really does work right. The ath_pci that ships in Ubuntu doesn't work with the 5xxx chipsets, the ath5k module works better, and there is a madwifi version of ath_pci that works even better. The best how-to article on getting THIS to work is embedded in an Ubuntu help wiki on installing Intrepid to the Acer Aspire One, so google for those keywords.

His: Obsidian Mini-9: Karmic UNR w/ Vbox-XP, 2gb, 32gb STEC, 16gb Transcend(6), US-INTL, sgpstore carbon
Hers: Arctic Mini-9: Dell Ubuntu, 1gb, 16gb STEC, 8gb SDHC(6)
Are you a Help Vampire?
  (#16) Old
Unhappy Re: Linux Mint - 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM

I am running Gloria on my Mini 9. Tried for the first time to mount a 2gb SD card today. It does not mount. It does not show up in fdisk. And it does not show up on gparted. Is it possible that my problem is on the hardware level (is my sd card reader broken)? Any help is appreciated thanks.
  (#17) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 05-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Mig Daddy,

I found mounting SD cards on the Mini 9 (Ubuntu) to be a bit unreliable. I ran into problems when I tried mounting my "Home" directory to a 2 Gb SD card to save space on the 4Gb SSD. What then happened is that the system would frequently mess up during booting because the SD card was not detected consistently. I ended up corrupting my file system and had to reinstall everything from scratch. I found my SD card only mounted less than half the time. I don't know if there's a work around for this problem.

(#18) Old
Send a message via AIM to weber72 Send a message via Skype™ to weber72
Default Re: Linux Mint - 05-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Other than the mounting problem, what have you thought of Gloria so far? I'm downloading the RC1 as we speak...has anyone found any other problems yet?

Dell Mini 9 (Alpine White) -- 16GB SuperTalent SSD -- 2GB Kingston RAM -- 8GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC -- 1.3MP webcam -- Windows 7 RC / Linux Mint 7 RC
  (#19) Old
Default Re: Linux Mint - 05-12-2009, 02:23 AM

It seems the version of gparted in Ubuntu has a problem mounting sd cards. It seems to be corrected in Gparted 0.4.4. Please see post for all the details. ... bug/275345
  (#20) Old
Default Linux Mint 7 “Gloria” released! - 05-31-2009, 08:30 AM

The new release of Linux Mint (The Linux Mint Blog » Blog Archive » Linux Mint 7 “Gloria” released!) is based on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, Linux 2.6.28, Gnome 2.26 and Xorg 7.4.
Have a look to some videos: What's new in Linux Mint 7 Gloria - Linux Mint

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04

« Polusbo drivers in Mandriva | Hanging on Linux install disc boot (multiple distros) »