Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Linux dual boot question... - 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM

I know that some of you have put Linux on the 1010 and dual boot with windows. I have been running BackTrack 5 booted from USB but I would like to put it on the hard drive, so here's the question: can I install linux and still keep the Dell restore partition and the ability to restore using it from Ctrl F11. It would be OK if the restore blew away the linux partition, but I would really rather not lose the restore ability. Thanks for the help...
  (#2) Old
Default 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM

Back Track 5 web site is currently unavailable ??????

Up front, I am not sure. However, most Linux OS installs have options to partition your HD format it & install on your selected partition. If Back Track 5 has this, then you should be able to. My OS uses grub to boot my Ubuntu & Win XP (works for Win 7 too). What does Back Track 5 use? If it uses grub then it should work for dual booting.

Clean up your HD before installing. Do a check for errors & then defrag it.

Rather than keeping the restore option for Win, I would think about making a Win disk & also save the Win drivers for your hardware. The drivers are usually on the Dell web site for download but I would get copies anyhow.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

« Battery Estimate with Lucid (11.04) | Install ubuntu on dell mini 10v hackintosh »