Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM

Have you upgraded the OS? If so, how? Did you see a change in the battery life or boot speed? Sorry to barrage you with questions, but I am very curious.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM

This weekend I got curious, so I installed netBSD on the mini just as a proof of concept. It installed fine, and X fired up first time without issue.

I don't know much more about netBSD than this, so I was not able to see if things like the wireless networking, card reader, sound, or the webcam work in netBSD (my guess is that maybe the sound works... the rest probably not).
  (#13) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 01-08-2009, 02:31 AM

I have a running openSUSE 11.1 installed via PXE as boot from MMC Card (USB-reader) and thumbdrive did not work for me. I had some trouble with kde4 and the backlight, but that is going to be solved. Now it's only the "Suspend-to-RAM" that did not work every time. Sometimes the x-Screen disapeares but a console-screen stays and the system do a complete stop. Did not figure out which application causes this behaviour.

Dell Mini 9
16 GB SSD, 1.3MP Cam, Bluetooth
openSUSE 11.1 - KDE4
  (#14) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM

When I first got my Mini (Mid-December) I installed several different Linux distros, including Fedora 10, Gentoo, Arch and Puppy. I have since gone back to the Dell Ubuntu, but modified with the Netbook Remix using these instructions at MaximumPC. I may go through another experimental phase soon though.
  (#15) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 01-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Meh, I'm thinking of putting Lunar (a Gentoo fork) onto it.

It's a little provocative maintenance.

If anyone is feeling like committing suicide they could just try to do Pelican HPC from source. That made me want to stab myself.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#16) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Went from Windows XP to openSUSE 11.1!

When I was hunting for information on how to proceed it all looked a bit complicated... need another linux box, etc, etc.. Then I found this page on the openSUSE web site. Followed the "Creating a bootable USB Stick version of mini.iso entirely from Windows" section and then proceeded to boot from the USB stick. I used the 11.1 32-bit Network mini CD iso to perform my install since I had a 128mb USB stick doing nothing.. plus why download a 4gig iso when you can download only what you need? (about 1gig in my case). Worked like a charm! (used a wired connection.. wireless does not work when performing the install) I selected Gnome as my GUI and removed the swap partition completely (I have 2gig of RAM.. figured it should be good for what it's used.. web surfing mostly)

Next I did all available updates. Figured I'd have a better chance of getting everything working with all the latest packages. Then I messed around a bit to get the wireless going.. first trying the /usr/sbin/install_bcm43xx_firmware script.. that didn't do much.. Then after some searching I hit this page and clicked the "1 click install" link (probably overkill but meh.. it was 2am at the time! :lol: ).. rebooted and success!! Wireless now works perfectly!

SD slot works, USB as well. Still need to test sound.. don't have the webcam or bluetooth. Hopefully this will help others who want to get openSUSE going on the mini 9!
  (#17) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 03-24-2009, 01:49 AM

I changed the Dellbuntu on my Mini after the wife kept saying how the netbook looked like it was running some old Windows version and that it looked depressing.
So i decided to install Kubuntu 8.10.
Unetbootin was a snap (first time I ever installed from USB) and I installed it fine then spent the usual time fine installing things like Skype and Flash, trouble shooting sound, mic, and a few others all from Googling the problems and not benig afraid to use the terminal and it runs beautifully.
She absolutely loves it and her Mac toting friends are jealous of her Mini
but there is one BIG problem:

-We used to get about 4hrs of battery with the Dellbuntu and now were are getting ONE hour!!-

I understand the whole lpia thing and was prepared to take a hit of even 50% and live with 2hrs but this is nuts.
Is this an exceptional case or is this common?
I dont use bluetooth and while I wouldnt mind turning off wi-fi when kids watch videos on the Mini, the netbook is mainly used... on the net so its not a very effective option.

Im looking around to see if there are other things to shut off and am totally open to switching to ANY distro that handles this better as long as its not Gnome (I was warned about it explicitly.)
Is there a distro that does the battery better with the Dell Mini?
  (#18) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 03-24-2009, 01:11 PM

That doesn't sound right at all. I use Ubuntu 8.10 and didn't notice any drop in battery life after switching from the Dell 8.04. I know LPIA is supposed to help a bit but I was under the impression we're talking 5-10 minutes, not 2 hours!
  (#19) Old
Default Re: OS Mods: using something other than Dell's Ubuntu or XP? - 04-11-2009, 05:03 PM

Linux Mint is running great on mine!
  (#20) Old
Default 07-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Figured I'd bump this up, but I'm running a fairly modified Ubuntu Netbook Remix install, but using Blueman, the NetworkManager PPA, Firefox 3.5.x PPA, and some other "testing/unstable" feeds. I actually like it a lot, but I am trying openSUSE on the stock 16GB drive (using a RunCore 64GB for my main install) and I was here fishing around for info on the wl driver.

Interestingly, I was a big fan of running Vista, and later Windows 7 beta and RC1 on it. But over time they tend to decay in performance, so I thought I would try UNR and see what's up. I wish Fedora Core 11 (multiple OS install failures, until I figured out I needed to repeat the install) and openSUSE were more straightforward in their hardware support of the Mini 9. But, they're getting there.

« Ubuntu Studio? | HOWTO: openSUSE 11 install from a USB drive »