Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Dec 2010
Guide: How to Install Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) on a Dell Mini 1010 - 12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
O.K., so, here is my guide on how to install ubuntu 10.10 on the dell mini 1010 and fix its video, dvd and wifi problems. This will make it into a fully-functional computer. Hopefully this will be stickied. Here it goes:
Windows computer (It could even be your dell mini!) (There is a mac way on the ubuntu website but I personally have not used it.
2GB or more USB key/pen drive/thumb drive
A usb mouse
Ethernet or some way of getting non-wifi internet(You'll be able to use Wi-fi later, don't worry!)
step 1: go here and download the file: Download | Ubuntu You can follow the guide on the ubuntu website but make sure to stop by the Boot options at 7-11. After you install through the Ubuntu site go to step 16
step 2: download the linux usb maker while ubuntu is dling
Universal USB Installer â€“ Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
step 3: plug in your usb BE PREPARED TO FORMAT IT!
4: open the usb maker, check format as fat 32, select 10.10 from the version menu and check show all drives and pick your USB key. It should automatically find your download of linux but if not you can browse to find it.
make it look sort of like this but with the usb selected.
5: Press create and say yes to the messages warning you about formatting your key.
6. After it is done making the key unplug it and put it into your mini 1010.
7. If it isn't already shut down or restart your mini 1010.
8. When the dell screen pops up hit f2 and this screen should come up
9. Use the right arrow to advance and then use f5 and f6 until your settings look like this:
10. Press f10 to save and exit
11. The mini should start up again and hit f12 to get this screen:
yours will have a usb option, highlight it and press enter. Sorry for the picture, my image uploader had a glitch.
12. Now after a bit you'll see Ubuntu! Then a long error thing about missing firmware. We'll fix that later.
13. The installation is self-explanatory so I'll give you some tips for it:
Don't select update while installing or the mp3 plug-in thing. You don't internet so it just sorta confuses it.
When selecting a name for your computer and your username it CANNOT HAVE A CAPITAL LETTER! If you can't press the forward button check for capitals.
after it restarts it will start up and eventually you'll get some error or something about how you'll have to launch in desktop session. You may not see a cursor. If you don't plug in the mouse and use that to hit O.K.
15. The computer should start up correctly and you'll be able to use it. Play solitaire, write a document, unplug the USB key, get yourself familiarized. Now to add internet.
16. Plug it into Ethernet or wired internet and open a terminal window in Applications>Acessories>Terminal
17. enter this code: sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
After that it will say Sudo password. Enter your password. Don't be alarmed if it doesn't show up, just enter your password and press enter again.
18. Let it do its thing and when its done unplug the wired internet and reboot. You should have internet!
HOW TO GET VIDEO:
The Dell Mini 10's graphics card is the GMA500. It isn't compatible with Linux so there needs to be some tweaking. I'm mainly just copying this guide from here: [all variants] Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500 - Ubuntu Forums
All credit goes to him.
19. Open a terminal and and input this:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/ppa && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d poulsbo-config
When asked for password input your password in the way I mentioned in step 17
20. After the last piece of code is finished input this:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
after entering your password wait for the grub text file to open.
21. You should enter this in the grub file, I put it below the line that has the 9nth line.
If your Computer has 1 Gig of ram add this:
If it has 2 add this:
If you don't know add the 1 gig line.
23. Open a terminal window and add this code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.confInput your password.
24. If the window that appeared is blank put the following code in it, if there is stuff there replace the second paragraph with the new code.
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
Option "ExaNoComposite" "true"
25. Reboot and you should have video!
OPTIONAL: Adding DVD Support
Because of legal reasons Ubuntu cannot run ecrypted DVDs (movies). It is legal to watch them on your computer. This will show you how:
26. We're going to add the medibuntu repository to your computer. It has all sorts of useful stuff. Open a terminal window and input this code:
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
input your password and that should be done. Optional: Input this to have the software from the repository appear in the ubuntu software center.
sudo apt-get --yes install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu
27. We're going to get libdvdcss2- it deencrypts movies.
add this and then input your password when prompted:
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
Ubuntu Software center will show you its page. Press install.
28. Now this:
sudo apt-get install w32codecs
Input your password.
Ubuntu Software center will show you its page. Press install.
29. Now we're going to add something to support dvd menus.
go to this link: Ubuntu -- Package Download Selection -- libdvdplay0-dev_1.0.1-6_i386.deb
download from any of the mirrors. Ubuntu Software center will show you its page. Press install.
30. Go to the Ubuntu software center and find VLC. Install it.
32. Now pop in your favorite movie from an external dvd/cd slot, open it in VLC and Enjoy!
Hope you found this useful, sorry for the length and hopefully this'll be stickied.
---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------
P.S. Thank you to Reflex for showing me how to get WIFI and giving a link for how to get video.
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.