Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#11) Old
Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM

Hi there, my first post on the forums! I just ordered my Mini 9, can't wait until it gets here.

I am a veteran of CrunchBang on the desktop and the eee pc. I'm sure it will end up on my Mini when it arrives.

For those having issues with the keyboard layout, the reason may be that Crunchbang is a UK-based distro. So, when you are logging in, you should change the Language to US English, and then once you're logged in, edit your ~/.config/openbox/ (there is a shortcut for this in the Preferences->Openbox menu). You'll see a section where you can set your locale and keymap; simply uncomment (by deleting the #) the correct line for your US (or other) keymap.

Note these instructions are for a full install; I don't know how to do this if you're running from a Live CD/USB.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 03-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Ive been using Crunchbang lite on ReiserFS for about 2 weeks now, and I love it! totally snappy, and really tweakable once u get used to the openbox way of doing things...

so far the only thing that I havent been able to do is change the cursor theme, and edit the touchpad settings....
  (#13) Old
Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 04-09-2009, 07:16 AM

I want to run Rosegarden on my 4 gig SSD, so I think I might switch to this. What version should I get? I'm downloading the eeePC one as we speak ...
Recommend the lite one, as the eeePCone screws with wireless settings. Yay, a netbook that doesn't have wireless internet. :/

Received lowest quality mini 9 with 512 megs RAM, 4 GB SSD. Additions:
-4 GB SSD [2 GB SD Card: getting 16 GB SDHC]
Sold for $180 so I could buy Mini 10, XP/Ubuntu, 160GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1366x768 screen, 6-cell for $260.
[Extra screen space IS AMAZING, as is having a working keyboard]
  (#14) Old
Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 04-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Cruncheee is a version of CrunchBang specifically designed for the Asus eee PC. It will not work on the Dell Mini 9.

CrunchBang 8.10 Lite or Regular versions both work on the Mini. The only difference between the two is that Lite has only a few basic applications pre-installed, for people who want to keep it lean (or install their own pick of apps).
  (#15) Old
Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 04-16-2009, 01:46 AM

I have been using CrunchBang within VMware Fusion for a while. it looks like a good candidate for the dell. I have OS X on it now but I'm not crazy about it.
  (#16) Old
Default Works outta the box on mini 1010 poulsbo GMA500 - 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM

This is an older thread, but I am very happy with my first 5 hours with CrunchBang, since it works with my GMA500 graphics out of the box at 1366x768 resolution.
I just downloaded and installed the most recent version:
It's slim and trim, and runs very good on my mini 1010 with 1GB memory.
Now I need to update my signature.

Edit: I forgot to mention, default Dell supplied wireless and ethernet adapters also work with no fiddling.

mini 10 - black, 1.6ghz, tv tuner, hd screen, multiboot-> win xp | MX-14.2 | debian 6.03 | slitaz_rolling | crunchbang 11
zaurus sl-C3100 multiboot-> zubuntu rc1.0 | angstrom opie 2007.12-r18 | cacko 1.23
zaurus sl-C3200 pdaxii13-5.5-alpha4 akita on nand

Last edited by Jon_J; 02-23-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added more info

« Why You SHOULD Try Linux On Your Netbook... | OSX to Ubuntu 12.10 on Mini 9 »