Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Unhappy RHEL 4 - 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Has anyone successfully installed RHEL4? I was able to go through the install process from a USB external DVD drive and all seemed well until I rebooted. Then it just hung on Enabling swap space [OK] and I couldn't get it to do anything.

Not even sure if it's possible, but I figured this would be a great place to start researching. Doesn't look like anyone has so far. TIA!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: RHEL 4 - 01-24-2009, 01:46 AM

Well I would recommend RHEL5 instead of RHEL4 as 4 is getting pretty old and may not support the Intel Atom platform properly (course I'm not sure 5 does yet either but it's more likely to). As far as the swap space, you really shouldn't be creating a swap partition anyway, try reformatting without one.

The fact that the installer boots and runs through is definitely a positive sign...

(#3) Old
Default Re: RHEL 4 - 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM

thanks for your feedback jlee. I am trying to emulate an Autodesk Flint system we have which is running RHEL4 so I would prefer not to go too far out of bounds. do they look/feel/operate the same way?

I did reformat with no swap space, but still no luck. Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

« tinycorelinux | "Instant On" OS? »