Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default how can i triple boot XP + Jolicloud + Moblin? - 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM

I already have a working dual boot of XP and Jolicloud but I also want to use Moblin as a third OS installed locally.
I tried installing it, but im stuck at the partition thingy, i dunno what to do in there.
Please help. thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default 06-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Sorry. I don't have much experience with Moblin.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM

I have no experience with Moblin at all, however, it is really just another Linux distro, so you probably just need to resize one of the existing partitions to make some free space for Moblin. You can buy something like Partition Magic to do this, or you can setup a Linux bootable USB drive with gparted installed.
  (#4) Old
Default 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM

No need to buy Parted Magic. What you want is the GParted LiveCD, which is free and very powerful.

There are plenty of guides on how to use GParted, so I won't go over that here. but this is what you want to end up doing with it (I will try to be generic in case other people want similar help):

1. Make sure your partition table is set up as MBR (Master Boot Record). You can use a GUID partition table too but trust me, that one's more of a pain in the ass. It is however the defacto way of installing OS X if you want to do some hackintoshing.

2. Set up your Partitions as follows (for all intents and purposes, Primary Partitions are the partitions that you want to be by themselves. It should be the default. Logical partitions are sub-partitions under an Extended partition. The numbers I will be using here will be the numbers the operating system will see them as. Note, this will assume a fresh wipe of your harddrive. So if you are moving existing partitions around, then these numbers could (will) be different for you):

Partition 1: Primary Partition: NTFS (for Windows)
Partition 2: Primary Partition: ext3 or ext4 (For Linux distro 1, whichever file system that distro supports)
Partition 3: Primary Partition: ext3 or ext4 (For Linux distro 1, whichever file system that distro supports)
Partition 4: Extended Partition
Partition 5: Logical Partition (under the above Extended Partition) : Linux-swap. Note on this: You can make this swap file however big as you like. I recommend no more than 1 GB but others may tell you differently. It can depend on the specs of the machine. Odds are you won't be using 1 GB of swap space anyway.
Partition 6 (Optional): Logical Partition (under the above Extended Partition) : FAT32 (for using as a shared storage drive between all 3 of your Operating systems). This could also be NTFS if all of your OS'es support the ntfs-3g driver and you want to be able to store files larger than 4GB. Make this partition however big you want

You should see the following scheme in GParted after the above changes:

/dev/sda1: ntfs
/dev/sda2: ext3/ext4
/dev/sda3: ext3/ext4
/dev/sda4: (extended)
/dev/sda5: linux-swap
/dev/sda6: fat32/ntfs (Optional)

You should then be able to install your Operating systems to the above scheme. Let me know if you get stuck on anything or if I was at all unclear.

« formating a SDHC card | Black screen while installing »