Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Best Linux Distro / Program for Proxies - 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM

So this is a bit of an oddball question here, but I was wondering if someone could help me out on this.

I've recently found myself in China for the long term. I'm not only behind the GFW, but also a proxy, limiting me to Port 3128. I installed Moblin on my Mini 9, but am unable to access the mirrors which allow me to install/use Wifi. Or anything else for that matter. I switched to Moblin from Ubuntu because Moblin's interface is awesome.
However, I'm unable to access any repositories. Either the mirrors are unavailable or blocked. I'm not sure if it is the GFW blocking me or if my proxy settings are correct in Moblin but not working in terminal.

If anyone has experience in this or could tell me where to go I'd be forever thankful. I'd try to go to a Wifi Spot for further testing, but the Broadcomm problem prevents it. D: No Wifi is leaving me tethered to my router... behind the work proxy.

*edit* I should mention I'm running Moblin 2.1, and Windows is out of the question because I a. can't get it in English and b. It comes with some lovely China-friendly things I don't want.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Have you tried exporting your proxy in the terminal before running the update?

$ export http_proxy=http://your.proxy.server:3128

Then run the updater (I haven't used Moblin so don't know what it uses for this). That should force terminal apps to use the proxy to access the internet.

Not sure why you can't get hold of a copy of Windows out there without "china friendly things" installed. Don't be so paranoid!
  (#3) Old
Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM

If you don't mind switching to Jolicloud I would recommend it. At college I use the 'Network Proxy' application where you can set different locations/user-define presets.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta

« moblin 2.1 on mini 10v installed to usb | JoliCloud - Play Full 720p and 1080p full screen »