Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Best way to have Dual Boot WIN XP and Ubuntu System - 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM

I am currently running a dual boot system on my Mini 9. Both are on the SSD (came pre-loaded with XP and I did a wubi install of Ubuntu 8.10)

I have little SSD space left.

Is there a better way to use Ubuntu (live USB stick perhaps) to free up some SSD space.
I also have a 16GB SDHC (Class 6) in the memory slot.

I'm new at this linux thing, so looking for advice on how best to set up a two - OS system.

Fr. Jeff+

Dell Mini 9, 16GB SSD, 16GB HDHC, 2GB RAM, 80GB WD USB HD, 1.3 mp camera
Dual Boot: Win XP & Ubuntu 8.1
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Best way to have Dual Boot WIN XP and Ubuntu System - 12-22-2008, 03:58 PM

It's me again - Wubi is good for trying out Ubuntu, but for long-term use I'd recommend either a persistent USB-stick or a separate partition for Ubuntu.

Should you choose the partition (full install) route, there are also ways to dedicate the SDHC card to moving the majority of Ubuntu off of the SSD and reclaiming the drives' space for your media and the like. Unfortunately, this means the SDHC slot is required to boot the OS, so swapping it out becomes problematic.

If you're ready to try a usb-stick version of Ubuntu, boot into your Wubi install and navigate to System -> Administration -> Create a USB startup disk. Plug in your thumb drive and follow the instructions.

If you choose to dual-boot both OSs, there are other posts in these forums about how to do so.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0

« Want to Install Freespire 2.0.8 on Mini 9 | EBIOS Read Error »