Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Original Dell Linux (8.04?) - 12-10-2009, 05:29 AM

I have one of the original 9" Minis, which shipped with some Dell version of 8.04 Hardy Heron (I believe). One of the "quirks" was that it did not include Firefox so much as an un-branded version called Web Browser.

A couple months back "Web Browswer" stopped updating with Firefox and subsequently many of my plug-ins stopped working (Ad-Block Plus included).

As of yesterday, my version of Pidgin (2.4.3) was broken by the MSN servers. The solution is to download a new version, but I am unable to (I assume because of my distro), I can only do a "partial update" which uninstalls Pidgin and leaves me with nothing.

I only have 8GB of hard-drive space and I am only using my computer for internet, chat, skype, image viewing and light word processing. What is my best option in terms of updating my distro without breaking too many things (ie: internet, sound, mic...) and losing preferences/files/programs.

I just want something a bit less *******ized that will be able to update regular programs!

Dell Mini 9 running Mini Ubuntu (black, 8GB, 1GB RAM, 1.3 MP webcam)
  (#2) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM

Linux is pretty good about keeping user settings and preferences under a user's home directory. So, what I'd do is backup everything under your home directory, including hidden files. If you just have one user account setup, backing up "/home/ellemenope" or whatever should be sufficient. Then install a normal distro. Finally, copy selected directories and files from the backup to the new user dir (like "/home/ellemenope/.mozilla" for "Firefox" settings, bookmarks, extensions, etc.).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Puppy Linux | xampp on dell mini 10v with ubuntu 9.04 »