Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Mandriva 2010 GMA 500 drivers WORK - 11-17-2009, 06:44 PM

I am happy to report the GMA 500 drivers in Mandriva 2010 One work just like they are advertised to work. I just downloaded the ISO file and burned it to a DVD. On booting from the DVD (in live mode even) the GMA drivers are loaded in without ANY additional efforts from the user. I have an external DVD player.
Several people had trouble with the beta version not working; but the final 2010 One is just fine. In fact the only thing I have not been able to get working is the web cam. Everything else works just fine. Wifi, sound, battery etc.
On a sour note I could not get it installed to a USB drive as unetbootin does not seem to write the files correctly to the USB drive. I tried several times and only got errors after the boot was completed. It may be because I need a newer version of unetbootin as 2010 is not listed in the distros that work with it.
I have not installed it to the hard drive yet as I wanted to make sure the GMA 500 drivers worked and did not require any additional hodge podge to get working. They Do.
All I can say is its bout time and way to go Mandriva. You have done what Ubuntu and Fedora have not been able to do. Keep up the good work and Mini 1010 users give Mandriva a try; it might be the answer you have been looking for. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#2) Old

Default 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
On a sour note I could not get it installed to a USB drive as unetbootin does not seem to write the files correctly to the USB drive.
Maybe a bit late, but I want to add this one note:
It is correct that you can't use unetbootin to dump Mandriva to a stick, but that's no problem, because all Mandriva ISOs (including the DVDs) are hybrid-isos.

You can easily dump the ISOs using 'dd' (for example: dd if=mandriva-one.iso of=/dev/sdb). Or you just use the graphical tool Mandriva-Seed which is available as windows and linux version:
You find it on every Mandriva mirror:
ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/mandriva_isos/2010.0/

Regards,
TeaAge
  (#3) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaAge View Post
Maybe a bit late, but I want to add this one note:
It is correct that you can't use unetbootin to dump Mandriva to a stick, but that's no problem, because all Mandriva ISOs (including the DVDs) are hybrid-isos.

You can easily dump the ISOs using 'dd' (for example: dd if=mandriva-one.iso of=/dev/sdb). Or you just use the graphical tool Mandriva-Seed which is available as windows and linux version:
You find it on every Mandriva mirror:
ftp://ftp.mandrivauser.de/mandriva_isos/2010.0/

Regards,
TeaAge
Thanks for the information. And thanks for the link. I had downloaded the mandriva seed windows program before; but I made a grave mistake. I did a search and used the link from the search to download the seed program. It was a bogus program and infected my main desktop with 173 virus infections. I had to wipe out my hard drive and reinstall the system from the restore DVD's .
I used the link you sent and downloaded the seed program (win) and now have Mandriva running from a USB flash drive on my mini. Thanks again for taking the time to send the link and I hope others use it to try out Mandriva.
To tell the truth I am a little confused as to why there seems to be a lack of intrest in running Mandriva on the 1010. Especially considering they seem to have the best working GMA 500 drivers. At least the best without having to jump through hoops to get a working system.
Have you used Mandriva much and has it performed well on your mini? So far I have had no problems since installing it to the USB drive. Thanks again. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#4) Old

Default 12-04-2009, 11:43 AM

To say the truth: I doesn't have an mini right now. :-/
I was just looking for a netbook which fits my requirements and one of those was the mini. I found this thread because I was looking after some reviews of mandriva on it, because Mandriva is my favourite distribution.

Nevertheless, for those of you who wants to use Mandriva the Mandriva Netbook Edition could be interesting for you. It's just Mandriva One Gnome, with the Netbook interface of the UNR and some extra drivers/firmware. So everything should work out-of-the-box. It's also available with persistent /home-Partition:

[MUD] MUD-Netbook-Edition 2010.0 with persistent /home | Mandriva Forum

Regards,
TeaAge
  (#5) Old

Default 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM

Once again thanks again for the link. It is plain to see you are a Mandriva fan and also that you have done a good bit of research on using Mandriva. I have been running the live version on my Mini 1010 getting the feel of Mandriva one before I decide to install it on my mini or not. Right now I am using XP and 9.04 (with GMA drivers) in a duel boot configuration. I also have Fedora 11 installed on a 8gig USB drive and have 9.04 also installed on a 8gig SD/HD drive.
Fedora by far runs the fastest and best on the 1010; but there are no GMA 500 drivers for it that work without a major rework of the drivers, you're stuck with 800X576. Ubuntu 9.04 works pretty well; but I still get lockups after alot of time spent online with it. Mandriva One works about the same as 9.04; but it does have flash and video drivers that come with it that work well with video.
I hate to say it; but XP by far works the best. Flash; video and everything else just plain works. After all the 1010 was built with XP in mind so its not surprising that it works the best.
If you have not bought a netbook by now I would wait a little longer and see what the next generation of netbooks bring. It is a handy tool and for its size and compacness it makes a great tool when a larger laptop or desktop does not fit the situation. I plan on keeping my 1010 for quite awhile. It has limitations; but what it does; it does well. Good luck if you decide to purchase one. You wont be sorry. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#6) Old

Question 12-26-2010, 06:28 AM

hey, sorry for bothering, but i downloaded mandriva one gnome version, but everytime i try to run the liveCD or install mandriva, it, you know, never leaves the "loading" part...
any ideas?
also, i tried installing pclinuxos with enlightenment, witch i really want to try, but it always tells me it couldnt start the "x" server?
also, it says install to ram? is that a mistake or what?
im really new to the linux based os's so any help or info would be really apreciated!!!
  (#7) Old

Default 12-28-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumuaxe View Post
hey, sorry for bothering, but i downloaded mandriva one gnome version, but everytime i try to run the liveCD or install mandriva, it, you know, never leaves the "loading" part...
any ideas?
also, i tried installing pclinuxos with enlightenment, witch i really want to try, but it always tells me it couldnt start the "x" server?
also, it says install to ram? is that a mistake or what?
im really new to the linux based os's so any help or info would be really apreciated!!!
Sounds like you might have gotten a bad download. When you boot it from the live CD you created from the download it should give you the option to check the file for errors. Run that before trying to install it from the CD. Several times I have gotten bad downloads.

PClinuxos (which I have installed on one of the laptops (not netbook) does not have any drivers for the GMA 500 chip set in the 1010 and that probably the reason the X server does not start.

Installing to ram just means it is installing the OS in LIVE mode to the memory of your system and not to the hard drive or USB drive. While it works slower than a HD install or a USB install it gives you the opportunity to try the OS before you install it. Of course when you turn off your system you lose the OS.

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

« Guide: How to Install Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) on a Dell Mini 1010 | Would Anyoe like to help create an XFCE Distribution? »