Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default "Instant On" OS? - 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM

I'm interested in experimenting with an Instant On OS like Splashtop or gOS Cloud. I've been Googling around and those are the only ones I've found and neither of them is readily available for download.

Can you guys make any suggestions on instant on OSs I might be able to try out?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: "Instant On" OS? - 12-07-2008, 01:40 AM

I think most of these types of OS's run off of a flash chip embedded in the motherboard, not off of the hard drive. So you might be out of luck in that regard. Perhaps a better bet is to look for a stripped down linux distro that only loads the network drivers and a browser. That would likely boot in under 30 seconds on the mini.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to zmjjmz Send a message via MSN to zmjjmz
Default Re: "Instant On" OS? - 12-07-2008, 05:13 AM

A bunch of researchers got Fedora (I think it was Fedora) to boot in 5 seconds on an Asus EeePC. It won't be useful to you of course
By the way, I just put my Mini into suspend/hibernate instead of turning it off. It seems much more efficient to me.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: "Instant On" OS? - 01-31-2009, 01:39 PM

Look at the Moblin:

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
  (#5) Old
Default Re: "Instant On" OS? - 01-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Moblin is no where near mature enough to be used by an average user with little to no linux experience...but when its completed LOOK OUT. Its not an instant on OS but its as fast of a boot as I have ever seen.

I second the use of hibernation. The performance hit if any is nothing to shake a stick at. I use it quite often since as mentioned it starts back up much faster but at the same time it is not using any power when hibernated. The more ram you have the more disk space you will use so if you have 2gb of ram and a small SSD you may not want to do this. I have yet to see my mini use more than the 1gb it has in it and with a 16gb SSD I don't mind losing that 1gb for the hibernation file.

« RHEL 4 | Ubuntu UMPC »