Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Question wireless with openSuSE 11.1 - 08-15-2009, 10:06 PM

OK, this is my first post.
I have the Dell mini 10v. It came with XP. I deleted it and put SuSE 11.1 on it to make sure everything works (will dual-boot XP and SuSE later). I did try Ubuntu, worked fine (no problems with wireless) but I think I like SuSE better.

Is there supposed to be a wireless icon in the system tray Wireless works fine. I'll have to remember how I did it for the next time .

I went to this site PackMan :: Package details for broadcom-wl
and clicked on "one-click install". There were alot of "errors" while it installed. Something about packages not signed or something to that effect. Did I "break" my security by installing this package?

Is there an easier way. I downloaded the .rpm file and it wouldn't install. Just gave me an error message.

Sorry for my noobish questions. I have very little experience with Linux but alot of experience with computers.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-23-2009, 02:47 AM

I'm sort of unclear on what your problem is, but I've got the similar 1395 wireless card(10v hasn't arrived yet) in my XPS M1530. I've installed various distros several times, and by far the easiest and most universal way to handle bcm43xx cards is to simply install ndiswrapper from source and then install the drivers from the command line.

Make sure you uninstall the drivers you installed with the .rpm(if they did indeed install, I couldn't tell).

First, get ndiswrapper.
ndiswrapper | Get ndiswrapper at

Then, download the XP drivers for your wireless card from Dell. Assuming you're in Windows, extract the .exe and look for a folder named either DRIVER_US or DRIVER. In here there should be a file called bcmwl5.inf with a corresponding .sys file. This folder is the only one you need. (If you're in Linux doing this, and if there's no option to extract with right clicking, I believe unzip -a driver.exe will do it).

If you're coming from Windows, put all of this on a flashdrive and then boot into linux. Copy both ndiswrapper and the driver folder to your desktop, and open up a terminal.

cd ~/Desktop
tar -xvf ndiswrapperVERSION.tar.gz
cd ndiswrapper
make install
cd ..
cd DRIVER_US (or whatever the folder is with the .inf and .sys files)
ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

That should install it. To check if it's installed type:
ndiswrapper -l

You should get two lines of output about your driver. If you do, your drivers are successfully installed and you SHOULD be able to use YAST to set up your wireless.

Oh, and to make ndiswrapper load at boot, type:
modprobe ndiswrapper
  (#3) Old
Default 08-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend when I set up my dual boot.

« Battery Charging in Dell Mini 9 (air-plane mode) | Best linux network card that still works with OSX »