Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old
Default Fedora 11 on Mini 1010 - 07-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Someone passed a message on to me that they had read the added features list for Fedora 11 and that they had added support for GMA 500 to it. Well I just spent a good bit of time downloaded the Live CD version and it does not support GMA 500 at all. It ran fine in VESA mode but 800 X 576 is not much of a display. The sound worked fine, and all the programs ran fine ( just at 800 X 576). Wifi did not work at all. It did not recognize the Wifi chip set in the Mini 1010. The battery monitor worked fine and most everything else.
I use Fedora 10 and Fedora 7 on two of my duel boot desktops and really hoped Fedora was adding support for the GMA 500. I would have loved to add it to my Mini 1010. It looks like it is not to be. I am beginning to wonder if that is one of the reasons there are so many 1010's on the dell refurbished sale site for sale.
I also downloaded Easy Peasy and it would not run at all. It booted into a command line and when I typed startx it replied that no modes were available.
There are quite a few computers that use the GMA 500 chip set. It really suprises me that none of the major distros (or any distro for that matter) has taken the time to put forth enough effort to add support for this chip set. I am beginning to appreciate XP, at least Microsoft supports the 1010. Or is it Dell supports Microsoft but not Linux on the 1010. fdalbor

« Booting from SD card? | Easy Peasy Linux Mini 9 Drivers »