General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Uninstall OSX - 06-25-2009, 03:18 AM

I have been trying to uninstall Mac OS X on my computer with the original Windows that came with the computer. I installed the Mac OS X using an authentic os x software following the dell efi method I believe. I now no longer want to keep the mac interface and wold like to switch back. The problem is that the mini will not boot from the cd/dvd drive and will not load the cd. When the computer loads, I go into bios and change the boot set up so it reads my external hard drive first, but it won't read it. I disabled all the other components in the boot drive to force it to read the cd drive, but it still won't work. At this point it says No Operating System Found. Now I can not even open up the mac os x from my hard drive after I enable it again. Is there a way that I can force my mini to read my external cd drive (lg 8x Slim Portable External Super Multi DVD ReWriter). I have re-enabled everything and still no luck. The mac os x will no longer boot for some reason, and my cd drive won't boot. I don't know what else to do at this point to revert back to my original Windows OS. Would it be easier to have my mini sent to dell to have them reinstall everything or did by converting it to mac os x void my warranty? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default 06-25-2009, 03:46 AM

No, you didn't void your warranty, but sending it in with OS X on it is a bad idea.

Is your usb legacy enabled in the BIOS? If not, enable it.

Plug your cd/dvd drive into the usb port closest to the power plug.

Restoring from the XP disc Dell sent you will not put your mini back exactly as you received it from Dell, as the disc is a Vanilla XP disc. You will need to download all the Dell specific drivers to get it back the way it was. There is a post either in the Windows forum, or in the Mini 9 general discussion forum with a link to all the drivers to download from Dell.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old
Default 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM

To restore your system to factory settings (as you received it from Dell) you can order a copy of your SRCDs from Dell. I believe there is a post detailing this in the Windows forums.

As for booting, did you try turning USB Legacy Support on?
  (#4) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:49 AM

Thank you for the help. I was able to get my computer to read the cd drive after enabling the USB legacy. That worked in getting cd drive to be recognized. The next problem I have is during the reinstallation of the vanilla xp that came with the computer, it begins to install xp and says it is copy files to the windows installation folder. When it is close to completing it will restart my computer and it makes me redo it again. After a few tries it does the same thing. Begins to load xp then will reset itself an make me star from the beginning. Is there something that can help solve this issue? Thanks for all your help much appreciated!
  (#5) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:57 AM

when you restart are you booting from the ssd or are you booting from the cd again?
  (#6) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 03:35 AM

The installation process probably can not figure out that you have formatted your SSD as Mac OS Extended.

Try re-formatting the drive FAT or NTFS, then install.
  (#7) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 03:46 AM

Thanks you so much I did not realize I was loading from the cd. Thanks lot to everyone that helped me.

« Problem screen OS X on Mini 10v | My OS X Mini gets pretty warm... »