General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini Desktop - 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM

Hi guys,

I would like to use my mini9 as a desktop computer. I only use it to browse and print invoices. I have a spare 19" monitor. What do i need to set this up?
Will a normal usb mouse and keyboard work?
Do I need to configure the mini so it wont sleep when closed?
Are all monitors recognized? Will I get a better resolution?
Are the mirroring issues solved?
Has anyone else had success with these kind of setup?
  (#2) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM

I do something similar when my Mini is at the office with me. I use SynergyKM to share my PC's mouse and keyboard over the network. I'm sure a USB or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would work just fine. I connect an extra 1600x1200 LCD I have at my desk also. I don't use mirroring (it's still busted), but spanning works just fine. I've tried using InsomniaX to disable sleep when the lid is closed (closed clamshell mode is what it's called for Macs), but my Mini has gotten pretty hot in the past when I've done this so I just leave the lid open now. The system would slow down quite a bit and performance was pretty bad.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM

I've used this sort of setup quite a few times at work with spanning rather than mirroring. Worked fine ... just disconnected the keyboard, mouse and monitor from my PC and plugged them into my Mini 9 ... worked fine.

I've also used my Apple bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse at home a couple of times and that worked fine.

Haven't tried mirroring though ... always found the extra screen useful (e.g. for Adium).

« Bluetooth kext | iphoto »